Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-25-2024, 07:05 AM   #1
NevilleMarvin
NevilleMarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Terminal functionality for Android 4.4 devices

Hi folks, I'm currently running an older (ca 2021) version of KOReader on a Nook Glowlight Plus reader, which runs Android 4.4. I currently rely on KOReader's Terminal plugin to access some of the device's functionality that isn't otherwise exposed in a good way (e.g., to set the warmlight level by running a command).

As of 2022, it looks like the Terminal plugin was replaced with a newer, much nicer version -- except that it no longer runs on Android <= 4.4.

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get back the old terminal by simply grabbing an old (pre-2022) copy of plugins/terminal.koplugin and dropping it into a current version of KOReader?

Or any other suggestion for how I can run commands from within KOReader to configure the device when there isn't an existing interface?

Thanks.
NevilleMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:29 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get back the old terminal by simply grabbing an old (pre-2022) copy of plugins/terminal.koplugin and dropping it into a current version of KOReader?
Probably, yes. The only way to find out is to try. You might have to change the name to terminal2 to prevent conflicts, but then again you might not if the other one disables itself.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n/_meta.lua#L3

You can put it in /sdcard/koreader/plugins

You might also want to grab another one from https://github.com/koreader/contrib for example to double check you're putting it all in the right place.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2024, 10:16 PM   #3
NevilleMarvin
NevilleMarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks, that worked beautifully.

It might be a nice idea, for anyone else in this boat, to drop the old terminal plugin into contrib as well? Possibly re-name it as "Old Terminal" or maybe just something like "Command Runner..."

Anyway, I just moved /data/data/org.koreader.launcher/files/plugins/terminal.koplugin to /data/media/0/koreader/plugins/, fixed up the permissions, then did the KOReader upgrade, and the old terminal is still working exactly as it should. (I know that there are symlinks/fuse mounts/bind mounts to abstract away the true filesystem locations; I wanted the rename to be atomic, so I used the actual underlying paths. And these paths should work identically for all other Nook GL3/GLP users out there.)

Thanks again, and thanks everyone for all your work on KOReader.

Cheers!
NevilleMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote