Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2024, 10:56 AM   #1
ayclau
ayclau began at the beginning.

Device: None
No duplicate inventory number

I want to catalog a physical library and want to add a column for inventory number. The default ID column doesn’t work for me because half of the books already have an identifying number.

I created an inventory number custom column, can I make it so it doesn’t allow repeating numbers?
ayclau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2024, 10:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayclau View Post
I want to catalog a physical library and want to add a column for inventory number. The default ID column doesn’t work for me because half of the books already have an identifying number.

I created an inventory number custom column, can I make it so it doesn’t allow repeating numbers?
You could write an action chain to check for duplicates. Or you could store the IDs and manually scan for duplicates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #3
Koosr1946
Koosr1946 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Copy date to a new column

If I have read a book I put the date in "DATE".

Is it possible to copy this data to a self-created column?
Koosr1946 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Koosr1946 - IMO it would be better to put the date (e.g. today) into a "self-created column" directly.

Add a custom column, thus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	210560

Set the date when and as appropriate:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	210559

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:06 AM   #5
Koosr1946

Thanks for your response, but that's not what I want.
There are approximately 600 books in which I have set a date.
I would like to copy/move those dates to a new column.
If I have to do that one by one, I'll lose a few days.

They are now in the "Date" column, but with every change the change date is set there and my date is overwritten.
Maybe you can change that so that there is no longer a date when changes are made.
Advert
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #6
hatuluang
Zealot
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koosr1946 View Post
If I have read a book I put the date in "DATE".

Is it possible to copy this data to a self-created column?
If you are Kobo user, may I suggest using the Kobo Utilities plugin.
Kobo Utilities has a feature to store your reading progress (reading location, percentage of reading, book rating, and last reading) from the Kobo device to the Calibre library.
Here is the setup.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #7
Koosr1946

249 / 5.000
Just a clarification by means of a screenshot.
I would like to move the contents of the DATUM column to the GELEZEN column
If this is not possible then that is also fine, but then I know for sure and will have to do it manually one by one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre .png
Views:	8
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	210561  
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Thanks for your response, but that's not what I want.
There are approximately 600 books in which I have set a date.
I would like to copy/move those dates to a new column.
If I have to do that one by one, I'll lose a few days.
Edit Metadata > Edit in Bulk > Search & Replace with these settings:

Name:	2024-09-02 08_31_47-Editing metadata for one book.png
Views:	5
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	210562

Test on 1 or 2 books to make sure it's right.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
249 / 5.000
Just a clarification by means of a screenshot.
I would like to move the contents of the DATUM column to the GELEZEN column
If this is not possible then that is also fine, but then I know for sure and will have to do it manually one by one
You can do this with bulk metadata search & replace.

Steps:
  1. Backup you library in case something goes wrong.
  2. Search for date:true to find all books where Datum is set
  3. Select all the books (usually Ctrl + A)
  4. Open the bulk metadata edit dialog (usually E)
  5. Select the Search and replace tab
  6. Set "Search field" to Datum.
  7. Set "Search for" to "^(.*)$" (without the quotes)
  8. Set "Replace with" to "\1" (again without the quotes).
  9. Set "Destination field" to #gelezen, or whatever the lookup name is.
  10. Press OK
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Edit Metadata > Edit in Bulk > Search & Replace with these settings:

Attachment 210562

Test on 1 or 2 books to make sure it's right.
Did you really mean to use /1 instead of \1 in replace field? And what is the /1 in the search field for?

Using a raw_field() template is a good idea. Avoids all sorts of formatting problems.
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Did you really mean to use /1 instead of \1 in replace field? And what is the /1 in the search field for?
I'm actually not sure - this is something I saved ages ago because it worked.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:19 AM   #12
Koosr1946

Thank you for your help, but this 78 year old man can't figure it out yet.
I added 2 screenshots.
In the 2nd I don't see "Date".
What else can I do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre1.png
Views:	4
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	210565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre2.png
Views:	7
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	210566  
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for your help, but this 78 year old man can't figure it out yet.
I added 2 screenshots.
In the 2nd I don't see "Date".
What else can I do?
Use "timestamp" instead of "date", as @ownedbycats showed in his screen capture.
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #14
Koosr1946

I believe it works fine, but I have another problem that I already mentioned a bit.
I had copied 3 books to a temporary library and then saw that the date had changed to today's date.
I don't know why and how that happened, I don't want to use that date at all anymore.
Do you know a solution for that?