Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
TWiTCommander
TWiTCommander began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Remove navbar in newsfeeds for Kindle/mobi [calibre]

Is there any way (read: an easy way) in calibre to not include the top and bottom navbar when making a mobi file from a newsfeed? The reason I ask is that the Kindle already does that for news items. It seems redundant.

May be we can get a Python class called BasicNewsRecipeSansNavbar that does everything BasicNewsRecipe does except append the navbars at the top and bottom?

I am not a programmer (although I can read code), which is why I am asking.
TWiTCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It sounds like you don't have your preferences optimized for Kindle.

Preferences|General|Preferred output format should be MOBI.

Preferences|Conversion|Output profile should be Kindle or Kindle DX.

When preferences are properly set, the recipes will use native Kindle navigation without the navbars.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
When preferences are properly set, the recipes will use native Kindle navigation without the navbars.
I don't have a device that Calibre considers to be an e-reader, so my preferences are all defaults. When my recipes run, they only generate EPUBs. With preferences set, say for a Kindle, when you run a recipe do you get:
  1. the same EPUB I get plus a mobi format (without the navbar), or
  2. only the mobi, or
  3. only the EPUB, with the mobi being created during Send to Device?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
An EPUB will always have the navbars.

You will only get the specific output format file specified in Preferences|Output format. Any subsequent conversions are done from the generated file.

During recipe execution, if output profile is Kindle|Kindle DX and output format is MOBI, the navbars are removed and the mobi is formatted as a Kindle periodical. It doesn't matter whether a Kindle is connected at the time, but those two setting do control whether or not the resulting file is optimized for Kindle navigation.

And to clarify, the only time that navbar generation is conditional upon Preference settings is during recipe conversion, not during a subsequent format conversion, say from EPUB to MOBI.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 07-28-2010 at 12:55 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
TWiTCommander

@GRiker

You have the awesomez! Thanks! It works perfectly.

Calibre is very powerful, and the UI is there, but could use some help. I made this mockup. It's not complete. I worked on it for may be 20 minutes.

It should not be very difficult to expose all the functionality of calibre in a revamped UI. IIRC, it's written in Qt and Python. With QML and some of the newer Qt dev tools, it shouldn't be hard to improve on the current UI. I'm here if suggestions are required.

Last edited by TWiTCommander; 07-28-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: removed image at bottom of post due to incorrect link. image available at http://twitpic.com/29h8zw/full.
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCommander View Post
Calibre is very powerful, and the UI is there, but could use some help. I made this mockup. It's not complete. I worked on it for may be 20 minutes.
You've removed the comments display on the selected book (Book 3 in your mockup) and replaced it with field info that's already in the main GUI. Comments is most important field for me when scrolling through my books. It tells me what the book is about.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
TWiTCommander

@Starson17

Like I said, I did not put even half-an-hour into this. The mockup isn't even complete. Besides the comments field, another thing that is completely missing is any sort of UI to indicate connected devices and manage transfers [gasp], and even a UI for downloading newsfeeds [GASP]. It's all coming. I'll be updating it over the next few days/weeks. I'm doing the UI mockup just as a pipe-dream, but I am willing to contribute if my work is found to be useful.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Like I said, I did not put even half-an-hour into this.
I encourage you to work on it, I just thought I'd point to the most important feature for me of the book specific display on the bottom. I don't need duplication of the things I can see on the selected row - I mainly need the comments and the cover, perhaps with a better tag listing.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
TWiTCommander

@Starson17

I set preferred device to Kindle and preferred format to ePub (I know that makes little sense in the scheme of making the two work together). All I got was the regular-looking ePub with the navbars. Mobi file is not generated at the time of ePub creation.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
TWiTCommander

I agree that it looks like duplication, but the reason I put things twice is that the bottom part is for editing metadata. I will probably put two tabs where it says Book 3 above the book cover. The first tab wil have what is currently shown in the right bar in calibre, i.e., cover art, comments and available formats. The second tab will be an edit tab where you can edit metadata. I am trying to eliminate any and all secondary windows. I'll try getting a mockup done fast.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
the reason I put things twice is that the bottom part is for editing metadata.
You do know that you can edit metadata in the main row for each book - right? Just double-click the field to be changed and type.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
TWiTCommander

@Starson17

I know. It's a bit like a spreadsheet. For some reason, I really don't like the current behavior. That's just my opinion. Update below!

By the way, clicking on the links to the specific formats in the Formats line will open that format; clicking on the ellipsis (...) at the end of the line will open the convert window. Any comment on the latter?

http://twitpic.com/29huif/full
Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
clicking on the ellipsis (...) at the end of the line will open the convert window. Any comment on the latter?
Seems clever, but obscure I'm a keyboard shortcut user, so I'd still hit "C" for (C)onvert.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
TWiTCommander

I think the keyboard shortcuts will stay (I use them a lot in calibre). I do agree that it may be obscure, but it won't be the only way to convert from one format to another.

One of my main aims with this concept is to simplify the right-click menu in calibre. It's too cluttered. There must be a better way to do this.

Tags
calibre, navbar