Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
T1 flash

Hi, I feel dizzy after using T1 just a while because it flashes too much. IS THERE A WAY TO REDUCE THE FLASH? Otherwise, I will have to return it.I love T1, but the flash (when surfing the web, when zooming in/out during reading) really makes me terribly dizzy.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Not that I'm aware of but wait for other responses. Why are you zooming in and out when you read instead of increasing the font? It would make your life easier I would think. No?

I suffer from severe migraines and that would drive me nuts. I find the flash when searching for books troublesome too. Sometimes it's better than others. Some days my head is better than others.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I remember that I would get dizzy when playing video games like Doom or the like. I can't remember what it is called, but it is a form of motion sickness. Some people cannot stand the continuous flashing that an eInk device would create. If you just read a normal book with no zooming in or out is it as bad?

There are some articles about it on the web.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Hi, thanks for the replay. I read 2-column PDFs with mathematical equations and figures, so I have to zoom quite often. Changing the font size/reflow won't work for the type of PDFs that I read.

Maybe T1 is not ideal for the type of PDFs that I am reading.

Is there any place in the system of PRS-T1 that allows me to change setting and reduce flash?
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
So I've been using the T1 for pdfs too and I advise that, when pinching and zooming in/out, don't let go of the screen until you've reached the level of zoom you want. You can pinch in and out without removing your hand from the screen, and it only flashes once you remove your hand. The same applies for dragging the pdfs around, don't let go of the document until you have it positioned how you want.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I posted a new thread about my experience with the T1 (went to buy one, played with it, changed my mind) before seeing your thread. Yes, it seems to flash A LOT, to the point of me deciding against buying one.

If you can still find one, the 950 is a better option for PDFs, due to the larger screen size. It makes a difference, in landscape mode.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just looking at this guy's review, when I noticed that this video has a good example of unacceptable flashing... see around the 3:50 mark, when he starts zooming and panning in landscape mode. I know it's subjective... but that's not acceptable to me.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-sony-prs-t1/
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I remember that I would get dizzy when playing video games like Doom or the like. I can't remember what it is called, but it is a form of motion sickness.
I have this problem. I can't play any 3D games, I get sick in a few moments. I also get sick trying to read in a moving vehicle, and even riding the El bothers me. Getting in a sailboat is just a nightmare.

I haven't, however, ever gotten nauseous from the flash on page turns on my ereaders.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hi, thanks for the replay. I read 2-column PDFs with mathematical equations and figures, so I have to zoom quite often. Changing the font size/reflow won't work for the type of PDFs that I read.

Maybe T1 is not ideal for the type of PDFs that I am reading.

Is there any place in the system of PRS-T1 that allows me to change setting and reduce flash?
change to the 2-column mode. i use that when reading journals.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Again, the guy in the video didn't bother to dick around with his unit enough. Don't just scratch at the screen over and over like you would on an iPad; keep your fingers down on the screen and until you have the zoom or centering you desire, THEN lift them. Also, if you're going to use pinch-zoom and scroll around on a complex pdfs (which is advisable), don't change the font (admittedly I haven't figured out how to turn reflow off yet, which is annoying). Looked at a lot of readers and the T1 is actually the best 6" for pdfs, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by CedroRosso; 10-09-2011 at 11:44 PM.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I was just looking at this guy's review, when I noticed that this video has a good example of unacceptable flashing... see around the 3:50 mark, when he starts zooming and panning in landscape mode. I know it's subjective... but that's not acceptable to me.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-sony-prs-t1/
I was looking forward to getting the T1. Now I'm not going to get one. Too much flashing. Maybe if they change it with a software update. But it would need to be considerably better for me to buy one.

Flashing screen refresh is the main thing that has kept me away from eInk devices in general so far. Unfortunately there aren't really any alternative technologies at the moment. Maybe I'll get the new Kindle Touch.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedroRosso View Post
Again, the guy in the video didn't bother to dick around with his unit enough. Don't just scratch at the screen over and over like you would on an iPad; keep your fingers down on the screen and until you have the zoom or centering you desire, THEN lift them. Also, if you're going to use pinch-zoom and scroll around on a complex pdfs (which is advisable), don't change the font (admittedly I haven't figured out how to turn reflow off yet, which is annoying). Looked at a lot of readers and the T1 is actually the best 6" for pdfs, in my humble opinion.
The unit I played with in store (straight out of the box) flashed just as much when turning pages. I mean - only once per page turn - but just as noticeably.

Too much, if you ask me. I guess everyone has their own comfort levels. I wasn't bothered by flashing on the previous PRS readers. But my gf has a pocketbook - not sure what model - and it flashes just as much as the T1 - to the point that I find it unusable.