Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #91
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
I should have noted that the files I dragged into Calibre were .prc. Once in Calibre, they showed as .azw3.

How do I keep the app from updating? There's nothing in the app settings to prevent this.
Depends on how you installed it. If you used adb to install it or the apk import from Bluestacks, then it should not auto update. If you logged into the playstore (not necessary anyway), disable automatic updates, or log back out. The app doesn't by itself check for updates.

ETA: probably a good idea to not install ANYTHING else into that virtual machine. Leave it dedicated for DRM removal. This way less chance to mess it up and you have to redo everything

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-24-2023 at 08:42 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 08:42 PM   #92
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patitapetit View Post
Nooo the Kindle Key in Android says It IS encripted
If you followed the instructions "Getting the Kindle for Android backup file" in the deDRM html file (link is in post 1), you should not even have to look at the key. When you import the .ab (Android backup file) into the deDRM plug-in, the plug-in searches for that key. All you will need to do is create a name for that key in the plug-in for your own reference.

You can PM me if you want. I'm about as sharp as a mashed potato sandwich and managed it. I don't say that to make you feel bad; I just mean it takes a some effort to bounce between reading post 1 and reading the referenced html file. Also patience while your phone backs up. I got impatient the first time and ended up with a file in Kb. It should be in Mbs.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2023, 08:46 PM   #93
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I got not attempts for it to update, but my advice to keep a backup of the apk file.
That is always good advise. Including a copy of all instructions (e.g. from this thread).
Old 02-24-2023, 08:57 PM   #94
Ma'am-I-Am
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is always good advise. Including a copy of all instructions (e.g. from this thread).
For those who don't know, your browser will save the page. Go to the first post, click "#1" in the upper right. When it opens in its own tab, find something like "File->Save Page As" or "Save Page" in your browser. All links will also be saved.

A friend was surprised by this, so no assumptions.

Last edited by Ma'am-I-Am; 02-24-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #95
harryv
harryv began at the beginning.

Device: Google Play Books Android
Does not install on my android phone

Hey everyone I have an android phone and the APK does not install on my Pixel 7 Pro. Anyone know of a workaround?
harryv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2023, 09:40 PM   #96
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Bluestacks emulator.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #97
shinyplastic
shinyplastic began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Hi All,

Unfortunately not as brilliant as ownedbycats, but here is what I was able to do

On Windows 11 (22621)
1. Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off, then Enable Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform
2. Install Microsoft Store, Install Amazon Appstore (installs Windows Subsystem for Android)
3. Downloaded Acquire SDK Platform Tools (r34.0.0) to get adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) extracted to a directory d:\platform
4. Downloaded older version of Kindle for Android (4.16.0.75) to the same directory
5. In \Application then Windows Subsystem for Android Settings turn Developer Mode on, and click Files on as well
6. Then in PowerShell (as Admin) connected adp to virtual machine ".\adb connect 127.0.0.1:58526" reported
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
failed to authenticate to 127.0.0.1:58526
(ignored than last error in Android Setting > Developer now shows ADB can be connected on 127.0.0.1:58526)
7. And installed KfA ".\adb install ..\..\com.amazon.kindle-4.16.0.75-1145045067-minAPI16.apk"
8. Able to find Amazon Kindle in \Applications, login to Amazon, and download a book
9. Finally back PS tried to extract backup ".\adb backup com.amazon.kindle" and get report
WARNING: adb backup is deprecated and may be removed in a future release
Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation...
And get a 0 byte backup.ab file

So I kind of read the last line like it's expecting a confirmation on the Android device … but no window pops up to allow me to confirm?? Do I need to install a "phone" app to unlock or is there another way?

Any hints?
shinyplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:13 PM   #98
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The goal is to produce a copy of the files found under the /data/data/com.amazon.kindle folder of the emulated Android device. That is not the APK file. It is data created and used by the Kindle app.

Normally that folder is not accessible unless the Android device has been rooted. However if the app allows backup permission (as old versions of the Kindle app do) then performing a backup of the app will make a copy of that data. And that can be used by the DeDRM plugin to retrieve the secret key used to encrypt books.
Apparently it's possible to disassemble an apk, turn on the "backup" flag and re-sign and assemble back to an installable apk. I'm pretty technical-minded, but that's beyond me.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:16 PM   #99
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyplastic View Post
Spoiler:
Hi All,

Unfortunately not as brilliant as ownedbycats, but here is what I was able to do

On Windows 11 (22621)
1. Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off, then Enable Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform
2. Install Microsoft Store, Install Amazon Appstore (installs Windows Subsystem for Android)
3. Downloaded Acquire SDK Platform Tools (r34.0.0) to get adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) extracted to a directory d:\platform
4. Downloaded older version of Kindle for Android (4.16.0.75) to the same directory
5. In \Application then Windows Subsystem for Android Settings turn Developer Mode on, and click Files on as well
6. Then in PowerShell (as Admin) connected adp to virtual machine ".\adb connect 127.0.0.1:58526" reported
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
failed to authenticate to 127.0.0.1:58526
(ignored than last error in Android Setting > Developer now shows ADB can be connected on 127.0.0.1:58526)
7. And installed KfA ".\adb install ..\..\com.amazon.kindle-4.16.0.75-1145045067-minAPI16.apk"
8. Able to find Amazon Kindle in \Applications, login to Amazon, and download a book
9. Finally back PS tried to extract backup ".\adb backup com.amazon.kindle" and get report
WARNING: adb backup is deprecated and may be removed in a future release
Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation...
And get a 0 byte backup.ab file

So I kind of read the last line like it's expecting a confirmation on the Android device … but no window pops up to allow me to confirm?? Do I need to install a "phone" app to unlock or is there another way?

Any hints?
You can confirm in Bluestacks, don't know about your method.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:23 PM   #100
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyplastic View Post

Any hints?
I tried and was unable to make it work. (See this post.)

If you find a workaround let us know.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:26 PM   #101
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
Apparently it's possible to disassemble an apk, turn on the "backup" flag and re-sign and assemble back to an installable apk. I'm pretty technical-minded, but that's beyond me.
There is not much point to doing that. The old version of the app allows backups and downloads books in a format that allows DRM removal. More recent versions of the app download books in KFX format using DRM that is unbroken so far.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:13 PM   #102
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Conversation with ChatGPT

I had to play with ChatGPT and had this interesting conversation (Q is me in bold, A is ChatGPT replying)
Spoiler:

Quote:
Q: Is digital rights management for ebooks necessary

A: The need for digital rights management (DRM) for ebooks is a topic of debate among publishers, authors, and readers. On one hand, DRM can help protect the intellectual property rights of authors and publishers by limiting unauthorized sharing, copying, or distribution of ebooks, which can result in revenue loss and copyright infringement. On the other hand, DRM can also limit the usability and flexibility of ebooks for readers, as it can prevent them from freely sharing or transferring their purchased ebooks between devices or platforms, or from making fair use of the content for educational or research purposes.

Ultimately, whether DRM for ebooks is necessary or not depends on individual perspectives and circumstances. Some publishers and authors may choose to implement DRM as a way to protect their creative work and livelihood, while others may prefer to offer DRM-free ebooks as a way to increase readership and customer satisfaction. As a reader, it is important to be aware of the DRM policies of the ebooks you purchase or access, and to choose a platform or retailer that aligns with your preferences and values.

Q: How do you remove drm

A: Removing DRM from ebooks can be a controversial and potentially illegal process, depending on where you live and the specific circumstances. In some places, removing DRM from content that you have legally purchased may be considered a violation of copyright law. Therefore, I cannot recommend or provide specific instructions on how to remove DRM.

However, in general, there are various tools and software programs that claim to be able to remove DRM from ebooks. Some of these tools may work for certain formats or devices, while others may not. It is important to do your research and exercise caution when attempting to remove DRM from any digital content.

Q: How would I research this

A: There are various online forums, websites, and guides that discuss how to remove DRM from ebooks. Some popular resources include Apprentice Alf's blog, which provides step-by-step instructions for removing DRM from various ebook formats, and Mobileread forums, which have dedicated sections for discussing ebook DRM removal. You can also search for specific software or tools designed for removing DRM, but be cautious and make sure to verify the legitimacy and safety of any tools you download. It's important to note that removing DRM from ebooks may violate copyright laws and terms of service agreements, so it's important to research the legality and ethical implications of removing DRM before proceeding.

Highly interesting that MR is mentioned right after Apprentice Alf. Gotta hate and love technology. I have seen books written worse than this machine learned AI. And I asked, and whatever ChatGPT produces is considered in the public domain, so it is okay to quote in length.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:43 AM   #103
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The developers got the content by scraping the Internet & using search tools.
It's just unreliable search dressed as prose as sources are not cited.

It's unreliable industrial plagiarism as the owners/developers don't curate the input data for copyright or truthiness, so it may be unethical to share the response.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-25-2023 at 04:45 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #104
geranium
geranium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Mac
Let me explain about the workaround.

I finally managed to have done it. It took me 7 hours.

If the backup.ab file you created has 0 bytes, it has failed. In my case, it was a short book, but the backup.ab file was 10MB.
For more information about backups, see this link.

First of all, before creating the backup.ab file, you should complete the configuration of your Kindle for Android Keys in Calibre.(It is easier to see if you click on the third image at this link)

To make a backup file (backup.ab), first connect your Mac to Bluestacks (or Android)
In order to connect to Bluestacks, open a terminal and type “adb connect localhost:5555 “ (Don't include “”double quatation)

To connect your Android to your Mac, you need a cable to physically connect your Mac to your Android; if you use Android, you also need software to view the data in your Android on your mac. I downloaded Android File Transfer.

Once connected, type “adb backup com.amazon.kindle” in the terminal. If the terminal says “Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation…”, you have almost succeeded, but BlueStacks needs to authorise the backup by clicking “Back up my data”. (Android should be the same, An approval button or similar should appear on the Android screen. Press the "Approve” button on Android device. ) If BlueStacks shows “Backup started” and then “Backup Finished”, it succeeded. backup.ab file was created in the Platform-tools folder on the MacBook in my case. If you can't find it, search by file name to find it.
geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 07:31 PM   #105
Ma'am-I-Am

Adding a KU book to Calibre from my phone works just fine - it's readable. Adding the same book from BS Media Manager is *not* readable. It's locked w/DRM. Is this because I don't have a key from the K4A that BS is using? If so, how do I get that key?

I don't understand how to create a backup of an Android device that doesn't physically exist.

I'm asking because it interests me and I want to make it work.