Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
guitu
guitu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Smile New hand stick Bluetooth for turning page!

New hand stick Bluetooth for turning page!

What do you think of this? I wish I could buy an accessory to turn the page without touching the Kindle, sometimes I need to cross my arms, but I can't turn the page if I don't move

Do you think it is easy to build such a device?

Greetings
guitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:50 AM   #2
guitu

I found this device looking for photos, for the idea I was looking for. I edit the photos with Photoshop.

https://cooool.co/bluetooth-stick/

When I read, I need to put a cushion under the book to get the text closer to my eyes. Am I the only one who puts a cushion? ¬¬ With a bluetooth turn page stick, I could cross my arms a some times, or put the Kindle on a table etc..

Greetings
Advert
Old 07-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
0x6c616d70
HP: 9%
0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Hohohoho, you got me there for a sec

For me I lean my body on one side of the couch and with my elbow on the armrest I read my kindle on font size 4 Bookerly.
0x6c616d70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #4
guitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6c616d70 View Post
Hohohoho, you got me there for a sec

For me I lean my body on one side of the couch and with my elbow on the armrest I read my kindle on font size 4 Bookerly.
My position is exactly this:

Do you really read size 4? oh my god, what a small print, you must have good eyesight!
I convert typographic font to Calibre to 12 or 13, and on the Kindle I set it to 7 or 8 it depends.

Greetings
Old 07-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitu View Post
New hand stick Bluetooth for turning page!

What do you think of this? I wish I could buy an accessory to turn the page without touching the Kindle, sometimes I need to cross my arms, but I can't turn the page if I don't move
Do you think it is easy to build such a device?
I think it's a terrible idea if held separately. I'd rather have buttons on the frame. It would have to clip onto the ereader.
It won't work on my PW3 as it has no Bluetooth.
My phones and tablets have volume buttons that work.
My Sony PRS-350 and Kobo Libra already have page turn buttons. So do my older Kindles, but I don't read on them, only test.

So I'd only use it on my Boyue Likebook Mars as it as Bluetooth and Android, but it has very little frame.

Such a device is trivial for a company that makes gadgets. It's a little harder a home mainly due to size and packaging.

Another issue it that on eink based readers it has a bad effect on battery life, apart from the fact that you need Bluetooth and some ereaders or applications on them don't respond to any code or command to turn page. BT is on the PW4 to support Speech as an alternative to a generic USB audio stick on a PW3 via an adaptor. The Audio/Speech on PW3 & PW4 is for accessibility, it's actually MORE awkward than the TTS on Kindle DXG, which is just for reading out the text.

My Mars has Android so I installed KOreader without jailbreak. I use it for real ebooks as the stock reader on the Mars is better than KOreader for scanned image content PDFs. KOreader works with Android BT external thing to change page, though not easy to set up as by default it wants volume buttons. The stock reader and the local County library Android app (Borrowbox by Belinda, and web download to PC can use ADE) don't use any android keypress, nor the volume keys on my Android phone or tablet.

Android apps on the Mars – that work – such as K9 email, browser, Jota note/text edit etc all work with external Bluetooth gadgets, even full keyboard and mouse.

You can buy a cheap BT camera "shutter" or a cheap BT headset (not buds) with media control buttons. If you can work your reading app on your tablet or eink ereader with either of those then building your own will work.

Mostly a BT page turner won't work, which is why people have jailbroken and hacked devices and in the case where there is no BT they use WiFi which is even worse for battery life.

It's simpler to buy a Kobo Libra. It's my favourite ereader for well formatted ebooks. The Mars is FAR better for books that are scanned PDFs (still to small for PDF magazines and A4 / Letter manuals) or badly formatted ones using KOreader to override rather than fixing in Calibre, or Borrow Box for the library books as it's too much bother to read them other than in the special App (ADE DRM).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Personally I prefer just tapping the screen. I have the Oasis and didn't care for the bottoms, or the size and shape of the Oasis, so I have gone back to the PaperWhite and love it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
guitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think it's a terrible idea if held separately. I'd rather have buttons on the frame. It would have to clip onto the ereader.
It won't work on my PW3 as it has no Bluetooth.
My phones and tablets have volume buttons that work.
My Sony PRS-350 and Kobo Libra already have page turn buttons. So do my older Kindles, but I don't read on them, only test.

It's simpler to buy a Kobo Libra. It's my favourite ereader for well formatted ebooks. The Mars is FAR better for books that are scanned PDFs (still to small for PDF magazines and A4 / Letter manuals) or badly formatted ones using KOreader to override rather than fixing in Calibre, or Borrow Box for the library books as it's too much bother to read them other than in the special App (ADE DRM).
I will ask any friends if they have a cheap BT camera "shutter" or a cheap BT headset (not buds) I don't want to risk buying it and then it doesn't work. Thanks for the info.

I had not thought about what you say, with the BT on surely the battery will drain much earlier. They should put a bigger battery.

Before I bought the Oasis 9th, I bought the Kobo Aura One, had to return two devices twice for screen failures (the led light was not uniform) and finally bought the Oasis 9th. I wanted the 8" screen! I see new devices in the Kobo store now, I wouldn't mind trying another one again.

Greetings
Old 07-16-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
guitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Personally I prefer just tapping the screen. I have the Oasis and didn't care for the bottoms, or the size and shape of the Oasis, so I have gone back to the PaperWhite and love it.
I had a Sony PRS505 before and I can't go back to a 6-inch reader, even the seven-inch one is not enough for me, when this one breaks down I'll buy it with 8", it may be a Kobo. Although I am happy with the Oasis 9th.

Greetings
Old 07-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #9
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
I use this one and it won't drain the Kindle batt as it has it's own batts.
https://www.amazon.com/SYUKUYU-Contr...-20&pldnSite=1
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
How does it turn the page? Does it only work with capacitive touchscreens?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
0x6c616d70
HP: 9%
0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x6c616d70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Looks like it. I can only assume it toggles some circuitry to simulate a finger tap when the button is pressed.
0x6c616d70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 AM   #12
JBaby
Groupie
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2024 11” M4 iPad Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How does it turn the page? Does it only work with capacitive touchscreens?

Yes. The screen must be capacitive so I don’t think a device can have an infrared touchscreen like the 2016 8th Gen Basic. I wrote a review of it here.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
guitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
It looks good, too bad the design, I don't like that it takes up space on the screen, however little it is. The idea is good.

Greetings
Old 07-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
You can record an input event, say you click on the right side of the screen to turn a page, do:
Code:
cat /dev/input/event1 > /tmp/event
Then, whenever you want, you can just 'replay' it with
Code:
cat /tmp/event > /dev/input/event1

This, maybe, could be a path to explore.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitu View Post
It looks good, too bad the design, I don't like that it takes up space on the screen, however little it is. The idea is good.
It's pointless except to automate photographing the entire ebook automatically prior to OCR.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote