Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Today, 07:35 AM   #1
jchwenger
jchwenger began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Conversion from pdf to txt yields (near) empty file

Hi there,

I'm faced with a small problem: I am trying to convert a pdf to txt, and that pdf allows me to select and copy paste (it's not just images).

I first tried:

Code:
pdftotext source.pdf source.txt
That yielded a file with only ^L page breaks. Then I tried:

Code:
ebook-convert source.pdf source.txt
The result has the big titles in there, but literally nothing more.

Does anybody know if there are options I could try in this case, or is it likely hopeless (e.g. because of the complexity of the pdf) ?

Using ebook-convert (calibre 7.13.0).

Thanks a lot in advance!
jchwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you can select, you can possibly select all and copy paste to get the text out.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #3
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
If copy/paste does not work, then you could try OCR.

Mind you it didn't work for me when I tried it.

I had the same issue on a pdf of a really old public domain book and when I took a closer look at the pdf, I came to the conclusion that it was just a collection of photographs of the pages of a physical book. Some of the pages were not exactly straight and some were more faded than others.

Because I prefer using my kindle and because reading such pdf's on my kindle is such a pain, I tried a few things to get an epub text version including using OCR. But although the quality of the images was enough to make it easily readable as a pdf, it obviously was not good enough for OCR, so I basically gave up and read the pdf on my computer
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #4
jchwenger
jchwenger began at the beginning.

Device: desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you can select, you can possibly select all and copy paste to get the text out.
I tried, but somehow only the text of the current page gets copied (both in Calibre and in MacOS Preview). After selecting all, the current page content is selected, but other pages are somehow selected 'overall', unsure how to describe this, and the content is therefore not captured by the copying.
jchwenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.pdf, .txt, conversion .pdf .txt, ebook-convert