Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #1
chisburger
chisburger began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Best Reader to display data from webbapp

Hi all,

Im really new to the E-ink readers but I built this webb-app which displays data from sensors based on my sailboat (data is gathered from RPI) then I’m showing the data on a Kindle.

I found an old Kindle touch (from 2011!?) which works but the display rendering is kind of ugly/slow. Im currently disabling the screen saver by ”~ds” in the search window, I tested on a Kobo which was a complete different story .

So im wondering if the panel has som input to which model I should get. Any out of the box reader or are there hackable once?

Some requirements:
Need to have
Backlight
Disable screen saver
Browser
Connect to a wifi even tho wifi is missing internet connection

Nice to have
Fullscreen browser mode possible to start via website, I assume a full screen mode should disable screen saver?
Water resistant

I hope to be able to get a used version

The numbers are just simulated to test.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmavbild 2024-07-14 kl. 00.13.54.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	209547  
chisburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buy an epaper panel for the Raspberry Pi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I HATE seven segment, but that's your problem/taste.

Using a browser has some things going for it and other things going against it.
You have to make it refresh or something.

Quoth's idea isn't bad, a Raspberry Pi add-on eink screen.
Here's a 7.5" https://www.amazon.com/waveshare-7-5.../dp/B075R4QY3L
OTOH, that doesn't have a frontlight or a case.
And it says "less than 5 second refresh time".

Most? Many? of us here have enough retired ereaders to repurpose.

I use a B&N Glow3 with a very simple app that listens on TCP for field IDs and text values.
But, since I hate gratuitous radio communications, I don't use WiFi.
You have to have the thing plugged in anyway, why not use USB?
ADB allows port forwarding. I plug the Glow3 into the RPi.
The RPi has a system daemon spitting out updates over TCP.
In my case, it just updates everything once a minute, but you could update individual fields whenever you wanted.

I've had this a number of years and it used to be a B&N NST without frontlight.
When I updated to the Glow3 I got sick of the USB running out of the bottom of the case.
So I removed the USB connector and wired the USB internally to run down the inside of the mic stand gooseneck.
Now it's much cleaner.

Oh, I got tired of that big "F" and changed it a while ago.

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by milliseconds and tablespoons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	status2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	209560   Click image for larger version

Name:	status.png
Views:	3
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	209561  

Last edited by Renate; Today at 06:37 AM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An original Kobo Aura H2O is more waterproof than later "coated" ereaders. Plug in USB and seal big slot (or trim cover if not lost) after taping over the SD card and reset holes. No jailbreak needed.

USB networking.

But Renate's idea is fine if you can find that model or a compatible one.

There are big variety of eink panels for RPi and a case to take both is readily available. Glue panel to a cut-out in case with a gel glue (not superglue as it will crack) or use a polarised matt filter.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But Renate's idea is fine if you can find that model or a compatible one.
Considering that I had this working on an NST (Android 2.1) and a Glow3 (Android 4.4.2) the requirements are not that arduous.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert