Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
Skimmed2411
Skimmed2411 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question Kobo Clara enable native Dropbox Sync

I cannot use a wired connection to upload books (work laptop only). Therefor i Need a wireless solution. My eReader is a Kobo Clara HD.

I got inspired by this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344661

This looks more durable than any wireless sync options that I know of.
But when I follow all the steps and update the files, I get stuck on the loading page when pressing Dropbox in the NickelMenu. When I check the files on my Kobo Clara HD again the changes I made to the Kobo eReader.conf keep reverting back to the standard.

Does anybody know what I can do to fix this?

PS: why doesn't Kobo enable this by default? I am willing to pay for it. It seems like such a basic function.
Skimmed2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 03:56 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmed2411 View Post
I cannot use a wired connection to upload books (work laptop only). Therefor i Need a wireless solution. My eReader is a Kobo Clara HD.

I got inspired by this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=344661

But when I follow all the steps and update the files, I get stuck on the loading page when pressing Dropbox in the NickelMenu. When I check the files on my Kobo Clara HD again the changes I made to the Kobo eReader.conf keep reverting back to the standard.

PS: why doesn't Kobo enable this by default? I am willing to pay for it. It seems like such a basic function.
Pray that Kobo comes up with a brand new feature for their flagship models, because that's what purpose Dropbox serves now. Before, Overdrive was only available on flagship models, but once Dropbox took the exclusive spot, Overdrive became enabled in all models. I expect the same thing to happen with Dropbox once something newer and shinier takes its place at the top.

However, I could never get Dropbox to work on my Clara HD using the directions on that thread.

If you search that topic for "Clara", you'll see others had issues implementing this Dropbox hack (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...56&postcount=6). I tried various suggestions, but couldn't get it to work, and I didn't have time to troubleshoot it at the time.

Last edited by Cootey; 03-01-2023 at 04:02 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Skimmed2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Pray that Kobo comes up with a brand new feature for their flagship models, because that's what purpose Dropbox serves now. Before, Overdrive was only available on flagship models, but once Dropbox took the exclusive spot, Overdrive became enabled in all models. I expect the same thing to happen with Dropbox once something newer and shinier takes its place at the top.

However, I could never get Dropbox to work on my Clara HD using the directions on that thread.

If you search that topic for "Clara", you'll see others had issues implementing this Dropbox hack (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...56&postcount=6). I tried various suggestions, but couldn't get it to work, and I didn't have time to troubleshoot it at the time.
Damm that sounds depressing. For me it is one of the most essential functions. I am even thinking about switching to Kindle just for this one feature on smaller models. I don't mind paying for it, I just don't like the bigger models when I can use landscape and have the same amount of screen.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Do you have a computer at home you can use?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
You seem to be conflating the high-level solution ("I want to be able to wirelessly transfer books to my Kobo") with this specific implementation (using Dropbox). There are other ways to do it without using Dropbox. You could use https://send.djazz.se/ as a workaround solution. You could turn on Developer mode on your Kobo and enable telnet, then FTP the books over to your device using your laptop.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
Skimmed2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
You seem to be conflating the high-level solution ("I want to be able to wirelessly transfer books to my Kobo") with this specific implementation (using Dropbox). There are other ways to do it without using Dropbox. You could use https://send.djazz.se/ as a workaround solution. You could turn on Developer mode on your Kobo and enable telnet, then FTP the books over to your device using your laptop.
I see what you mean. What I didn't wrote was that I already tried every solution there is. Every solution. This took me days. I know it probably takes me less time to just use one janky solution. I just really want one robuust solution that gives me one clear overview, at home or on holiday. I am not a Dropbox user, if I could use my personal OneDrive, I would be ecstatic.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:01 AM   #7
Endquote
Endquote began at the beginning.

Content Server in Calibre will do this. I have a Clara HD too and that's what I use.

After loading your ebooks into Calibre on your computer select "Connect/Share" and choose "Start Content Server." Calibre will show you an IP address and port number.

Go to the browser in Beta Features on your Kobo and type the IP address followed by a colon and the port number, and /mobile at the end. For example, '198.829.1.78:8080/mobile.'

Then you can just click on a file from the list and download it wirelessly to your Kobo.

When everything is working you can save that page as your browser's homepage by selecting "Set Page as Home" in the bottom right for easy access.
Endquote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:09 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
Kobo Clara enable native Dropbox Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endquote View Post
When everything is working you can save that page as your browser's homepage by selecting "Set Page as Home" in the bottom right for easy access.
This is the solution that I use. I’ve enabled password protection, so to utilize that, you need to modify the URL since the Content Server can’t send the authorization window to Kobo’s barebones browser. It doesn’t support pop-up windows.

http://usernameassword@CalibreLibraryURLort/mobile/

I keep two versions in my browser favourites. One for my local net when I’m home, and another that uses a domain I registered at noip.com for when I’m out and about in need of a new book.

Mind you, it’s not at all as automatic as Dropbox integration, but it works reliably.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote