Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #1
OregaNooo
OregaNooo began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
PW5 questions

I have an 11th gen on 5.14.0.1

I got it a while ago, just never registered it.

Basically I just sideloaded my books from calibre.

The device is a kindle kids, so I think it may stil be under warranty for almost another year. I did not take advantage of any Kindle unlimited, probaby should have.

Since I've been using it for a while, there are a couple things I want to do.

1) Mark books by category (ie fiction, by project name (if I'm reading a about a specific subject), DNF etc).

That would make it easier to find a book i want to read, if I'm reading for fun (ie fiction), or reading for a specific subject/project.

Also might make removal/adding easier if I could do it by group. I would like to be able to tag books DNF so I can later bulk remove them from my device. I keep annotations on why I dnf'd in case I want to read them later, or want to avoid them. Or maybe need to be in a particular mindset to read them. I'd like to be able to see my annotations when deciding what books to sync to my reader or remove from the reader.

I may have a few books from a specific project that I'd like to read/sync, etc. It might be easier to do if they're grouped together somehow. I don't really sync that often, so I usually am moving multiple books on or off the device.

2) I'd like to keep my annotations synced to calibre, and viewable. I have experimented with obsidian and my annotations have been copied there, so I least I have them, but I don't know that I could sync them back to the ebooks again should something happen.

Questions:

Is what I want to do possible using collections or another feature?

Is it really necessary to register? I don't know if there's a registration "hack" (I haven't seen one yet like I have for the kobo). Though I should probably register if I might want to use the warranty. So I guess I could create a dummy account for it.

Is there a way to block OTA updates? So I can decide which one I want on my device (in case I want to jailbreak etc in the future, I'd like to keep my options open).

I avoided registering because I wanted to control the updates. And also I wasn't sure what I do if the book I want to buy/read is in another country that isn't the one I live in. Also I don't think my annotations are amazon's business, or the books I read outside amazon, I remove books that I don't need or clear the device if I need to connect to amazon for some reason.

If I want to jailbreak or customize the device, what's the best firmware version to be on?

Should I jailbreak under warranty or wait?

Part of writing this post was to help me get clear on what I want to do and what I need to know. I've been doing some searching and reading and still feel a bit confused.
OregaNooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to register it in order to be able to create collections. That way you can categorize your books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
You can block OTA updates by manually updating to 5.14.1 or 5.14.2, then jailbreaking with WatchThis and then applying the OTA blocker KUAL extension.

A bit of tooting my own horn, but I have wrote a guide that covers these topics, though I wouldn't recommend it as your "main source" of guide and always double check the information.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote