Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
misterioso
misterioso began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
GPU Temperature showing up in ebook viewer

I just installed Calibre 4.21.0 in a newly built workstation computer. For some odd reason, my GPU temperature shows up in the top left corner of the ebook viewer.

I have several hardware monitoring programs installed on my computer and it could be a case of one of these programs misbehaving badly. But among all of the other applications (productivity, video editing, PC utilities, music, etc.) installed on my PC, the GPU temperature shows up only in the Calibre E-Book viewing window. No other programs show this behavior.

I certainly doubt that Caliber e-book viewing creates a load on my GPU requiring temperature monitoring, but before going through the process of finding which application on my computer is causing this behavior, I have to ask this question: Is the Calibre e-book viewer monitoring GPU temperature?

Here's what I'm seeing:

misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Presumably the viewer is the only program on your computer that is using GPU rendering. And no it doesnt monitor GPU temperatures.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
It might be a overlay from any other app or widget running in background...
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327243

That overlay looks like MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner. If you use it, go to RivaTuner Statistics Server in the start menu, add ebook-viewer.exe, and disable on-screen display support. Hopefully that'll get rid of it.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
misterioso
misterioso began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327243

That overlay looks like MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner. If you use it, go to RivaTuner Statistics Server in the start menu, add ebook-viewer.exe, and disable on-screen display support. Hopefully that'll get rid of it.
Thanks for helping me nail this down!!!

I did download and install MSI Afterburner, along with several other overclocking utilities. I will take a look at the MSI application to see how I can shut off the GPU Temp display.

You've been a big help and it's greatly appreciated.
misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert