Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Arrives today!

My Blue 505 is on the Fedex truck today! And because its fedex its going to either be on my doorstep or they are going to take it hostage at the facility. I hope its Fedex Epress because the pick up at Fedex Home never goes well for me. Oh well, I got me a SD card with some books on it ready to go and some stuff in Calibre I need to get on there too. Anyone change the font on the reader (I saw a tutorial in the dev forum)? Also are you able to change the font size before uploading a book from Calibre? Whats the default font size?
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
sammsmom
Enthusiast
sammsmom doesn't littersammsmom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
You are able to change the font size in Calibre when you are converting. The default size is 10, but I have my default set at 12 becuase I like a little bit bigger font. You can do this by clicking the little arrow by convert ebooks and choose set defaults for conversion. From there click on the look and feel tab on the left side and at the top there is base font size and you change it from there. HTH
sammsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Congratulations! I hope it arrives safely and when it does I'm sure you will love it.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
enjoy the 505 Drewmangroup
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Drewmangroup

It came this morning. They left it on the door step which I don't care about as much as when I lived in an apartment so I ran home to grab it (and its supposed to rain!). I plugged it in my PSP charger to charge and loaded a manga in Epub and LRF to see the difference. The epub was almost unreadable but the LRF was crystal clear. Sweet!

So a noob question, whats will all that crap that it comes loaded with? I am on a Mac so I see the internal memory as a drive. Can I just go into the database/ebook (or whatever the path is) and delete those files(there are like CB****** filenames) or is there a more "official" way of doing it. I want to avoid something where I delete the file but the database still has it listed or something.
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hope you have fun with your new gadget and that it's on your doorstep when you get home!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The files names that start with 'CB' may be the novels and excerpts that are pre-loaded on the Reader. Check to see if they are .LRX and if so that is Sony's proprietary ebook format. If you don't want those books you can just delete them from the menu of the device itself. Probably safer to do it that way.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmangroup View Post
So a noob question, whats will all that crap that it comes loaded with? I am on a Mac so I see the internal memory as a drive. Can I just go into the database/ebook (or whatever the path is) and delete those files(there are like CB****** filenames) or is there a more "official" way of doing it. I want to avoid something where I delete the file but the database still has it listed or something.
You can actually delete a book, including the free samples, using the menu system on the reader itself. I don't have mine with me right now (shocker, I know), and I don't remember the exact sequence of menu selections, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out. I'm pretty sure that's what I did, without any bad results.

I suspect you could do it with Calibre as well.

And I doubt there'd be a problem with deleting those files directly when viewing it as a drive, but someone else might want to confirm that.

EDIT: Grooks beat me to it.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Drewmangroup

Ok cool, I will go through the menu just to be sure

Another question :
What are "collections" in Calibre. Which metadata element translates to a collection?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats! Enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmangroup View Post
Another question :
What are "collections" in Calibre. Which metadata element translates to a collection?
In calibre, it's called "Series". Be careful here. I seem to have noticed that once a collection is set up in the Reader, it'll appear there even if I delete all the books in that collection, so there'll be a collection with zero books. There might be a way to undo that, though. I'm not sure. I haven't had the spare time to give it a serious try.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Drewmangroup

Looking around it seems that using the Connect software you can delete the collection. I will have to play around with that and see if there is a more direct way.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
frabjous
Wizard

Yeah, aren't you on a mac? "Connect" -- superseded if I'm not mistaken by Sony eBook library -- doesn't work on a mac, right? I sure hope there's another way!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Drewmangroup

Yeah but I have a Windows machine for times when I have to, as much as it pains me, to use Windows. I have also read that deleting the media.xml file will also fix it. I suppose it would rebuild it if it can't be found.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
frabjous
Wizard

Seems a bit extreme. I'd hope there's a better solution. I'll look into it when I get a chance. (I don't have my reader with me, right now.)