Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #1
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
Using GPT4All as a research tool

On my PC I've just installed GPT4All and selected as model the 'Llama 3 8B Instruct'. It is presently indexing my Calibre library to what it calls LocalDocs.

For anyone interested, I suggest to check it out at GPT4All's homepage (it's free and promises to fully respect privacy). It's not that much of an install and that way you can quiery the AI to your heart's content to get an idea of its use.

I expect it to be a significant tool to access specific information in my largely non-fiction library, but by no means do I consider it a replacement for Calibre for the simple reason that it is not - and doesn't pretend to be - a library manager.

Among the benefits listed by the LLM, I particularly paid attention to:

- Contextual search: allowing for additional questions and provision of additional context to refine results
- Natural Language Processing
- Integration with Chat interface

For anyone linking to their Calibre library, and who have many books, I suggest to create a sub-library in its own folder and run GPT4All on that. Do it with books that you know fairly well, so you have some possibility for evaluting produced results.

Checking GitHub and elsewhere, I understand that a GPT4All summarizer is in the pipeline, which would really be nice.

However, I would still carry on what I've done so far, which is to export my marked text to a text file (which my ePub reader allows to create and export). Then I use - say DuckDuckGo's Chat AI - to consolidate it into a coherent summary. From now on I expect to use GPT4All to do that.

I bet, at least for a long time, this sort of wetware curated summary (i.e. using my brain) will surpase what any AI have to offer, since who-better-to-know than I what is important for me.

Unless you're fanatically interested in certain topics and just prefer to enjoy fictions, all of this may surely not be important. If you're an (aspiring) writer then it may be different.

What I expect from GPT4All is to better understand the three existential threats presently facing humanity, which I find to be: Climate Change, Depletion of Biodiversity and Inequality at Local, Country and Global levels.

I got lots of relevant literature in my library but finding it is a challenge that I hope will be reduced significantly with the use of AI.

Cheers!
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope the answer is never to AI being added to calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuqismo View Post
On my PC I've just installed GPT4All and selected as model the 'Llama 3 8B Instruct'. It is presently indexing my Calibre library to what it calls LocalDocs.

For anyone interested, I suggest to check it out at GPT4All's homepage (it's free and promises to fully respect privacy).
But the makers don't respect copyright. The whole subject is full of lies and anything useful is simply scraped. In reality it's a search engine that doesn't quote sources and plagiarises. It's also very inefficient and thus damaging to the environment.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 09:28 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

I moved this from the Calibre forum to the Related Tools subforum.

I have deleted the almost identical post in Plugins.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:31 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre built-in Full Text Search (FTS) is very powerful, with phrase and near features.
You can run the search, when index is up to date, on a sub-range of titles by any normal Calibre search.

It's fantastic for research.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert