Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
momijizukamori
momijizukamori began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Kobo Glo
[early beta] Ao3 reader app based on Plato

So I've been working on and off on an app to give a nice interface to archiveofourown.org on Kobos, because I want to browse fanfic in e-ink without having to pick out a bunch of stuff I may not end up enjoying, download the epubs, transfer them over, etc etc.

This is kind of in late alpha/early beta at this point - the main functionality (browse a search result and read fics) works but there's still a lot of missing features and bugs. I'm kind of stuck on it, so I figured I would throw it up here and ask for feedback/advice. It's been tested on the Glo and Forma, and should work on any of the e-ink Kobo readers, but YMMV, I am not responsible if you brick your device, etc etc.

If anyone wants to browse the repo (along with some slightly more coherent planned features/known issues), it's available here: https://github.com/momijizukamori/ao3-reader

Assorted dev notes and discussion available here: https://momijizukamori.dreamwidth.org/tag/ao3

Biggest known issues (which I am stuck on):
  • Jump-to-page in the work index view does not work and will instead just hang weirdly
  • When the about work overlay goes to multiple pages, it just... stops rendering partway down the second page? The data is there - if tags spill into that area you have invisible touch-targets for them - but they're not being drawn to the frame buffer for ?? reasons ??

Installation Instructions: the reader zip attached is based on NiLuJe's one-click-install package for KFmon and Plato, and installs the same way (though the KFmon version may be slightly out-of-date now). You will probably want to open
Code:
.adds/plato/Settings.toml
in a text editor and edit the value for "faves" unless you share my taste in fandoms - it takes an array of string pairs, where the first string is the name in the display, and the second is the URL to the view.

Release file: Ao3 Reader v0.0.4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79637.png
Views:	241
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	193126  
momijizukamori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:53 AM   #2
badrihippo
badrihippo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa & Kobo Touch
Hey, this is cool! I've also been vaguely thinking of creating an ao3 reader for the Kobo. Can't believe I didn't stumble upon this before! Installing this now on my Elipsa and I'll let you know how it goes
badrihippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:52 PM   #3
momijizukamori
momijizukamori began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted), Kobo Glo
I'm glad you're interested! As a quick heads-up, if you're on an Elipsa, you'll need the newer build file I linked in this post: https://momijizukamori.dreamwidth.org/475800.html

It's unfortunately a little buggier than the older version, mostly because I had pull in a ton of changes from Plato to get support for newer devices and didn't get around to rectifying that with all the changes I've made for my stuff. But I may have another go at it soon-ish - in a wild coincidence, someone else with an Elipsa also asked me about this yesterday. So I'm glad there's interest!
momijizukamori is offline   Reply With Quote