Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
bawey
bawey began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
is all hope gone? screen issues after possible water intrusion

Hello everyone.
I took a look around the forum and found several similar threads, yet it would still be nice to have somebody kind look at the photo of my prs-505 screen and rate its recovery chances.
I haven't used the reader for a few days and kept carrying around it in my bag. Today, to my great discontent, I found it failing to work properly. My best guess is that, apart from me, the yesterday's rain is to blame. Not a heavy one at all though

I would extremely appreciate any opinions or suggestions as to how to recover from that plight.

Bests,
Tomek

PS. forgot to mention: everything else works, yet it goes without saying that it's pretty useless as for now

Last edited by bawey; 09-28-2011 at 06:17 PM.
bawey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know whether that is due to water, but if so let the reader dry out. Placing the reader in a warm place at about 100 degrees f will help. That could take a day or so. Another trick to dry out electronics is to place it in a container with uncooked rice. The uncooked rice will wick away the moister.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawey View Post

Hello everyone.
I took a look around the forum and found several similar threads, yet it would still be nice to have somebody kind look at the photo of my prs-505 screen and rate its recovery chances.
I haven't used the reader for a few days and kept carrying around it in my bag. Today, to my great discontent, I found it failing to work properly. My best guess is that, apart from me, the yesterday's rain is to blame. Not a heavy one at all though

I would extremely appreciate any opinions or suggestions as to how to recover from that plight.

Bests,
Tomek

PS. forgot to mention: everything else works, yet it goes without saying that it's pretty useless as for now
Whether from water or not, that looks like screen substrate damage which is irretrievable... you might get Sony to repair it (not cheap and not likely) or possibly offer a replacement (later model, likely refurb but again unlikely) doesn't hurt to ask but best option is probably new reader...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
bawey

Thanks for help. No change observed so far so most likely I'll need to prepare half-empty pdf files for a while. However, I observed that in the presence of heat, top half of the screen stops working for a a while, while the bottom remains unaffected. Might these symptoms indicate something like presence of moisture inside?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
From the picture it looks like a broken screen substrate, not water damage at all. By all means try and dry it to see if it fixes it but I would not count on it.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a fractured screen substrate - the break is the curved line at the top right of the picture. Absolutely classic. Sorry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
bawey

Does it imply my - user's fault or could it be caused by screen degradation over time? I can't recall any event drastic enough to account for this state of matter
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Does it imply my - user's fault or could it be caused by screen degradation over time?
It is not degradation.

Quote:
I can't recall any event drastic enough to account for this state of matter
In your initial post you stated:

Quote:
I haven't used the reader for a few days and kept carrying around it in my bag.
What kind of bag? What kind of case was it in? It really doesn't take a drastic event (a little stress/flex could do it) to snap the glass substrate.

I'm sorry for your loss.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
bawey

I kept it in a leather case, quite strong one. In my rucksack, where the reader occupied a separate compartment. The retailer implies the screen has taken a hit from a sharp object, while its surface remains scratch-free. I guess, however, that they didn't even investigate the case - just gave an answer convenient for them...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The retailer implies the screen has taken a hit from a sharp object, while its surface remains scratch-free.
It's called a glass substrate because it is below the eInk not on top of it. Some folks talk in a little more detail in this thread and post 10 of that thread has a picture of a Kindle taken apart and you can see the cracks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The most common cause of a fractured substrate is a bending or twisting force applied to the reader - it doesn't take much to do it. Carrying it around in a rucksack, where there are likely to be other objects pressing on it, is very likely to result in a broken substrate, I'm afraid.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
bawey

Seems like I have to face a dilemma: give up on the topic or exert more pressure on the retailer, including possible court case. On one hand perhaps I should give up, but still the issue came as quite a shock to me. I bought the reader without the manual (used one), therefore I couldn't even learn about its display being this fragile. Still, the retailer is a pro, which in terms of local law, provides me with a warranty...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Try it ... most likely it is not mentioned in the manual either that you should only read books with the reader placed on a pedestal.

Looks exactly like my kindle after 3 weeks of use and one time too many putting it into my backpack...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Seems like I have to face a dilemma: give up on the topic or exert more pressure on the retailer, including possible court case. On one hand perhaps I should give up, but still the issue came as quite a shock to me. I bought the reader without the manual (used one), therefore I couldn't even learn about its display being this fragile. Still, the retailer is a pro, which in terms of local law, provides me with a warranty...
Unfortunately a warranty only covers the device against failures in normal operation. This isn't a warranty issue - it's a breakage caused by user "abuse" (and I don't mean that in any way negatively against you). I'm afraid that screen breakages are simply outside the scope of the warranty. You really don't have any case against anyone, I'm afraid. The only advice I can offer is to treat it as a learning experience, and move on. If you get another reader, and want to carry it in a rucksack, make sure that you get a rigid case for it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
bawey

Thanks for replies. I can see the opinions are divided. So am I - hesitating. No physical damage on the outside, about the internals I can only guess. I think I should have been informed or warned against particular situations and I haven't been. Ain't that misinformation? Usually people are provided with some warnings at least...

Last edited by bawey; 10-24-2011 at 09:37 AM.