Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Cannot DeDRM Amazon Kindle books on Calibre

I am on Windows 10 and I am having difficulties in removing the DRM from Kindle books with Calibre, even though I have the DeDRM and KFX plugins on Calibre
In addition, I have followed the online instructions , namely :
1. deregistered the latest existing Kindle Reader app
2. install and re-register the old one ( v. 1.24.3 (51068) )

My books are currently on the Cloud. They belong to the same collection ( Amazon Delphi Classics) in the Kindle format. I had bought them two years ago and already removed the DRM from them on Calibre, but I have to redo it now because I had to reformat the drive. This time it doesn’t work.

By clicking on DOWNLOAD, the Cloud book(s) gets downloaded to the My KindleContent directory with various code sequences beginning with B.......
I then I drag these books into Calibre . Most of them show in the AZW format, some in the AZW3, some MOBI and some in the KFX-ZIP.

For some reasons Calibre cannot remove the DRM , with the exception of one AZW3 file. As I said, there is nothing wrong with these books, because I had already removed the DRM before with Calibre when I bought them originally.

Also, when I try to log-in to Re-register the older downgraded Kindle Reader app, I am unable to type in my e-mail addreas , PW and other info in the approrite boxes: the screen flickers all the time and I cannot place the cursor in the box. It happens only here. Maybe the problem is that the system fails to register the old Kindle reader App.just installed
I wonder if you can help.

THanks

Ittiandro

Last edited by ittiandro; 10-04-2022 at 12:54 PM.
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Which version of Calibre and which version of the deDRM plugin?

Also, I suggest you read this post about dealing with Kindle for PC and KFX:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try version of Kindle App 1.17, I had issues with anything higher than that. Also, turn off its auto-update in the settings
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
... As I said, there is nothing wrong with these books, because I had already removed the DRM before with Calibre when I bought them originally...
I don't think you can assume that the files Amazon is delivering today are exactly the same as the ones Amazon delivered two years ago. Book files get updated all the time and DRM varies depending on the app/device it's downloaded for.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:33 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is best to ask for assistance with DRM removal at noDRM’s GitHub where the latest version of the DRM removal tool is hosted. Detailed help with DRM removal is not allowed on MobileRead.

I believe that it is safe to say that if you do not own a Kindle device you will need to download your books using only certain versions of Kindle for PC. You can’t download with a newer version and then switch to an older one.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is best to ask for assistance with DRM removal at noDRM’s GitHub where the latest version of the DRM removal tool is hosted. Detailed help with DRM removal is not allowed on MobileRead.

I believe that it is safe to say that if you do not own a Kindle device you will need to download your books using only certain versions of Kindle for PC. You can’t download with a newer version and then switch to an older one.
All that info is in the Kindle for PC/MAC thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
I don't think you can assume that the files Amazon is delivering today are exactly the same as the ones Amazon delivered two years ago. Book files get updated all the time and DRM varies depending on the app/device it's downloaded for.
These books are not a new download. THey had been in the Cloud for two years. I thought that when I clicked on the DOWNLOAD button in the CLOUD library, I simply transferred the very same books unto the My Kindle Content directory and that I was not getting a new download.

Thanks

Ittiandro
Old 10-04-2022, 08:56 PM   #8
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
These books are not a new download. THey had been in the Cloud for two years. I thought that when I clicked on the DOWNLOAD button in the CLOUD library, I simply transferred the very same books unto the My Kindle Content directory and that I was not getting a new download.

Thanks

Ittiandro
Amazon / Book Sellers are updating books from time to time, so if you download them new.. they are sometimes different files and have changes in them you didn't had when you first bought them. so if you downloaded them fresh (from the cloud), they can differ from the files you got before.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
ittiandro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Which version of Calibre and which version of the deDRM plugin?

Also, I suggest you read this post about dealing with Kindle for PC and KFX:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...61&postcount=1
To answer your question, My Calibre version is 5. 34.0 and the DeDrm plugin is DeDrm 7.2.1
I found that for some reasons I had two Kindle apps : v. 1.17 and v.1.24. I uninstalled v . 1.24 and registered v. 1.17. After that I was able to remove the DRM from some of the books ( not from all) by going to the Cloud library and clicking on the DONLOAD tab on the menu.

The books got into the My Kindle contents directory and from there I dragged them into Calibre. The DRM removal only worked for half of the books, though.

Unlike before, these books are no longer AZW or KFX-Zip. They are either AWZ3 or Mobi. In an attempt to get the DRM removed on the remaining books, I thought to go again to the Cloud library and re-download them in to the same My Kindle contents library, as I had done the first time.

Unfortunately the DOWNLOAD feature is no longer in the Cloud books menu and I don’t know how to re-download them.

I didn’t try the other ways you suggested, because they seem too involved. I only made sure that the automatic update is off.

Thanks for your help

Ittiandro
Old 10-04-2022, 10:55 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can't download from read.amazon.com. Go to amazon.com/myk or a more direct link is

https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digit...ksAll/dateDsc/

Download option is under More actions.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:07 AM   #11
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Try version of Kindle App 1.17, I had issues with anything higher than that. Also, turn off its auto-update in the settings
I have the auto update turned off, but my Kindle for PC updated on its own just now.

That's just fishy on Amazon's side.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:46 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I have the auto update turned off, but my Kindle for PC updated on its own just now.

That's just fishy on Amazon's side.
Yes, turning off the auto update option is ineffective. See the section titled "Preventing undesired updates" in Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #13
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, turning off the auto update option is ineffective. See the section titled "Preventing undesired updates" in Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre.
Btw, do you know the version of K4PC that can download your personal documents but still compatible with dedrm?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:04 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Btw, do you know the version of K4PC that can download your personal documents but still compatible with dedrm?
Go to the Kindlefor PC/MAC and ask there. That's where it's appropriate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There isn't any.