Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
RiotGrrl
RiotGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Adding books

I notice that you can either get the metadata from the file or from the filename. Or at least, that the metadata in the file takes preference over that asked to retrieve from the filename.

I have hundreds of epub files where the author and title metadata in the file are messed up, but the tags and covers are the way I want.

I've used a batch file renamer to rename the files "title - author.epub" so that I can add them to Calibre using the filename, but then it doesn't get the tags and covers from the metadata in the file. I don't want to download the tags because then I'll have to spend hours editing them the way I want. Also, a lot of the covers are not found when I download the covers.

Is there a way that I can get the author and title from the filename but get any other metadata from the file when adding files to Calibre?
RiotGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
How to get covers from files:
- Select books which you want to set cover.
- Click 'Edit metadata' button.
- 'Change cover' section > Choose 'Set from ebook file(s)' > OK
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGrrl View Post
I notice that you can either get the metadata from the file or from the filename. Or at least, that the metadata in the file takes preference over that asked to retrieve from the filename.
It's not a question of what takes preference, it's a true either-or depending on your settings.
You have two options: You can let Calibre read metadata from file name, get proper author & title info, and have to manually input the tags you want and get Calibre to read the cover from the file. The second option you have is reading metadata from file content, which would get your tags and cover the way you want them, and then edit or look up, depending on how messed up your author/title fields are, the rest of the metadata. To do this, you should use the 0.8 code base, as it allows you to select which metadata fields to download, so you can exclude tags from being downloaded.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
RiotGrrl
RiotGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thanks for your response! I went for reading the metadata from the file name and adding the covers from ebook file(s) as suggested. I will manually edit the tags.
RiotGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGrrl View Post
,snip.

Welcome to Mobileread ….
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert