Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Jetbook eReader support

I have a question about JetBook eReader support. Here is a list I have seen posted about eSlick support for eReader. I wonder how it compares to the support available from JetBook for this format.

These eReader features, standard on other platforms, are NOT supported on the eSlick:

* dictionary lookup
* highlighting
* annotating
* adding your own bookmarks
* seeing how many pages/screens are in the current chapter
* setting margin widths
* toggling justification on/off (mercifully, default is off)

Also missing: any way to change typeface (the only choice is Times Roman, or something similar; there is no sans-serif choice). There is no meta data displayed, only filenames.

Features that ARE supported:

* change font size
* portrait and landscape reading
* reading DRM
* hyperlinked TOC works.

Biggest single problem:

The implementation of eReader software on the eSlick does an terrible job of formatting text. Periods, commas, question marks, and other punctuation wrap on their own to the beginning of new lines. Thus a line may begin with punctuation that should have been on the previous line.

Has anyone done a review on eReader on the JetBook?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
JeePea
Enthusiast
JeePea is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
I have a Jetbook Lite which is very similar to the Jetbook, so I can only speak for it. In fact I've had it for less than a week, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

*dictionary lookup - Yes (Multiple languages)
* highlighting - No
* annotating - No
* adding your own bookmarks - Yes
* seeing how many pages/screens are in the current chapter - No
* setting margin widths - No
* toggling justification on/off (mercifully, default is off) - Yes

As for DRM support, the Jetbook Lite is in its infancy. It does support DRM from several PDB sources but not yet epub. The support is not complete as the DRMed books don't display properly with text missing at the bottom of the page. Ectaco is working very hard to fix this and release firmware updates on a regular basis. In fact three different versions have come out in the last week. Non DRMed books display very well without the punctuation quirk you mentioned. I've only used txt and epub files that I've imported with Calibre so I don't know about the other formats. Also, as you probably know, the Jetbook does not use e-ink technology. It uses a high resolution LCD display which, in my opinion, having used a Kingle, is every bit as good if not better.

As for the supported features of the reading devices you already have, the Jetbook Lite has them all with the exception of hyperlinking. The Jetbook also supports multiple levels of folders.

I think that the Jetbook Lite is a fantastic device, expecially considering that it can be had for as little as $100 at a couple of the ebook stores online. I've owned a Kindle and a Sony Reader and would not return to them.
JeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePea View Post
I think that the Jetbook Lite is a fantastic device, expecially considering that it can be had for as little as $100 at a couple of the ebook stores online. I've owned a Kindle and a Sony Reader and would not return to them.
Where can you get a Jetbook Lite for $100? I should think $100 would be the magic number for sales really taking off. It was awfully tempting when Newegg had it for $117...
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealmind View Post
Where can you get a Jetbook Lite for $100? I should think $100 would be the magic number for sales really taking off. It was awfully tempting when Newegg had it for $117...
It's available here for $150 with a $50 credit to buy ebooks from the site; that's effectively $100
http://www.fictionwise.com/hardware/...te/landing.htm

I got two jetBook Lites at Newegg at the $117 price, better for me as I already have hundreds of (free and purchased) ebooks on an SD card to keep me busy without buying any for a while... Yay! I can recommend the Lite for the reasons you have probably already read about, and can say I am very happy with it. And I actually LIKE the battery holder "bump" to hold onto when I am reading - or to prop the reader at an angle on the table when I am eating.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePea View Post
I have a Jetbook Lite which is very similar to the Jetbook, so I can only speak for it. In fact I've had it for less than a week, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

*dictionary lookup - Yes (Multiple languages)
* highlighting - No
* annotating - No
* adding your own bookmarks - Yes
* seeing how many pages/screens are in the current chapter - No
* setting margin widths - No
* toggling justification on/off (mercifully, default is off) - Yes

As for DRM support, the Jetbook Lite is in its infancy. It does support DRM from several PDB sources but not yet epub. The support is not complete as the DRMed books don't display properly with text missing at the bottom of the page. Ectaco is working very hard to fix this and release firmware updates on a regular basis. In fact three different versions have come out in the last week. Non DRMed books display very well without the punctuation quirk you mentioned. I've only used txt and epub files that I've imported with Calibre so I don't know about the other formats. Also, as you probably know, the Jetbook does not use e-ink technology. It uses a high resolution LCD display which, in my opinion, having used a Kingle, is every bit as good if not better.

As for the supported features of the reading devices you already have, the Jetbook Lite has them all with the exception of hyperlinking. The Jetbook also supports multiple levels of folders.

thanks for the response but I was asking specifically about eReader support, not all the other formats. eReader is a special format used by Fictionwise. Anyway I got an answer in another forum. I have listed it below:

Features found in eReader software on other platforms that are NOT supported by the ECTACO jetBook - Lite:

* dictionary lookup
* highlighting
* annotating
* hyperlinked table of contents
* seeing how many pages/screens are in the current chapter
* setting margin widths (and they're way too narrow by default)
* toggling justification on/off (it is stuck ON for eReader files; it can be toggled for plain text files, though)

Font choices: Arial (sans-serif) or Verdana (also sans-serif) in various sizes. No serif face available.

Supported items:
Portrait and landscape: supported.
Auto-page turn: supported.
DRM - supported but a problem in that it has to be entered for each and every book. Which is difficult without a keyboard.

Book formatting is fine on the jetBook.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert