Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 08:20 AM   #1
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
KOReader Home list showing author folders instead of books

Hi!

I've just installed KOReader and watched a YouTube video on the different settings. My problem is that in the video, all the books are neatly organized according to title, and have thumbnails. No matter what settings I try, I can't achieve the same look in the Home directory.

In my case, all books are in their individual author folders. Why? Within the folders, everything looks like I want it to. Am I missing something?

What I want: https://imgur.com/a/p82iohs

What I have: https://imgur.com/a/3vEBZX6

I import my books with Calibre.
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
By default that's what you get with KOReader. The default interface is a file browser, not a library.
That's why I only use it on my Android eInk, not on a Kobo. I did use it for a while with the Elipsa for PDFs till Kobo updated the FW to do PDF cropping with page turns.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 06:20 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It won't ever be truly flat (because it's still a FM), but @poire-z has been working on plugging in more metadata views into the FM; this might be ready sometime this summer.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:24 AM   #4
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks for the clarification guys! Looking forward to the summer project by @poire-z!
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #5
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnroot View Post
Hi!

I've just installed KOReader and watched a YouTube video on the different settings. My problem is that in the video, all the books are neatly organized according to title, and have thumbnails. No matter what settings I try, I can't achieve the same look in the Home directory.

In my case, all books are in their individual author folders. Why? Within the folders, everything looks like I want it to. Am I missing something?

I import my books with Calibre.
I had the same issue (well, not a real issue in the sense that this file folder view is how KOReader has been designed), but what made me realize what is the real problem is when you mentioned that you import your books with Calibre.

I am also importing all my books on my Kobo Sage with Calibre. By default, Calibre exports books to your reader by creating a folder with the author's name and putting the book inside that folder. So, this is why KOReader doesn't show you a nice, clean-looking library view with book covers as we are used to see when using the original Kobo firmware.

Now, this Calibre default can be easily modified. You can tell Calibre to just drop the EPUB or KEPUB file straight on your Kobo and don't bother creating an author folder.

To do so, in Calibre, when your Kobo is plugged in, right-click on the device and select "Configure this device":

http://ibb.co/dc8n8dQ

A new window will pop up like so:

http://ibb.co/6PYq9D2

In the "Save template" command line, write what I have highlighted in yellow which is:
{title} - {authors}

This tells Calibre to simply export the book file straight onto Kobo, and have that book file named with its title and author. That's it.

Then, after ejecting your Kobo, your home view in KOReader will now display the thumbnail covers of all your books, as desired.

Since my Kobo Sage had only a few books with no markings or highlights, I just deleted them all from my Kobo in the Device view in Calibre, deleted all the leftover author folders on the Kobo in Windows Explorer (it seems Calibre removes the books inside the folders but doesn't delete the actual folders), and then re-exported all the books I wanted on my Kobo, but this time Calibre didn't create author folders.

Worked pretty well for me.

Last edited by Tzar; 07-17-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 04:56 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Storing books directly in the root directory is not a good idea. A FAT32 root directory has a maximum of 65,535 entries and any file or directory name that exceeds 11 characters will use extra entries to store the LFN information at 13 characters (26 bytes of UCS-2) per entry to a maximum of 21 entries for a single file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:10 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Agree with what DNSB writes ^^^^

Make top level folder for ebooks and one for pdfs if using KOReader and not wanting a list of authors. Maybe one for other stuff.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Ah! Thanks for pointing out it isn't the best option to put books straight on the root. I was wondering if it could eventually be problematic.

I'm finding out other weird issues running calibre and KOReader, like not being able to see in Calibre books I have transferred to Kobo. Seems you need to deactivate the Kobo device reader in Calibre and simply use the Connect to folder option if you do USB transfers. Haven't tried the wireless option available in KOReader for Calibre, maybe that's the better choice.

Last edited by Tzar; 07-17-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:07 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the KOReader subforum, I went over that in more details a couple of times.

(Basically, either keep using the Kobo driver, and let Nickel index the books after each batch; or stop using the Kobo driver altogether. We don't touch the Nickel db, but that's what the Kobo driver relies on to match books).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote