Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2024, 09:55 PM   #1
simoii
simoii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 SE
Exclamation Convert books already in kindle

Hi giys. I have books already in my kindle. Is there a way to convert them so i don't have to remove all of them and put the new format in. I have a lot of books already in my kindle and it's in collections. (1 folder per series) it would be tedious to start from scratch.
simoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 09:33 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
What do you mean?
Why do you want to change their format if you can already read them in your Kindle?
But to answer your question, there's no way to convert them and keep them in their collections.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2024, 10:53 PM   #3
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
What do you mean?
Why do you want to change their format if you can already read them in your Kindle?
But to answer your question, there's no way to convert them and keep them in their collections.
Hi thank you for answering. Well i had everything in azw3, and found out all were not properly hypenated. Altough i did used the hypenate plugin (maybe it didnt work?) Now i just discovered kfx format and it was somewhat more "right" and also added xray and word wise.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:31 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
azw3 supports xray and wordwise.

If you convert on device each book will show up twice.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 11:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoii View Post
Hi thank you for answering. Well i had everything in azw3, and found out all were not properly hypenated. Altough i did used the hypenate plugin (maybe it didnt work?) Now i just discovered kfx format and it was somewhat more "right" and also added xray and word wise.
If you use If you use Hyphenation This! on your eBooks in your calibre library and then copy them back over the existing eBooks, they will not show up twice. But you do have to send to device in the same format. Then you will have hyphenation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2024, 09:04 AM   #6
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you use If you use Hyphenation This! on your eBooks in your calibre library and then copy them back over the existing eBooks, they will not show up twice. But you do have to send to device in the same format. Then you will have hyphenation.
Oh! Will do this. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2024, 09:05 AM   #7
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Didn't know they do. Will try it! Thanks!
Old 09-24-2024, 09:16 AM   #8
jackm8
Addict
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Support for both is poor in either format. Azw3 also misses out on dropcaps, advanced typesetting and approximate page numbers. If I was OP, I'd convert a few books into kfx, then see if differences are worth it to convert the rest as well.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 01:33 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Oddly, I don't seem to find that azw3 misses out on dropcaps. See attached screen capture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-24 103148.png
Views:	36
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	210985  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:29 PM   #10
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Support for both is poor in either format. Azw3 also misses out on dropcaps, advanced typesetting and approximate page numbers. If I was OP, I'd convert a few books into kfx, then see if differences are worth it to convert the rest as well.
yeah checking out if it's worth the hassle.

are sideloaded books also indexed by our kindles?
Old 09-24-2024, 11:35 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoii View Post
are sideloaded books also indexed by our kindles?
Yes, they are.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:57 PM   #12
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
hi is this correct?

https://ibb.co/rdkb4K8
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM   #13
jackm8
Addict
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly, I don't seem to find that azw3 misses out on dropcaps. See attached screen capture.
They work the same as epub dropcaps, which are a bit of a hack work. Raised capital letter at one point, then lowered on the bottom. They work differently than 'native' support in kfx, where top of the capital letter is in line with top of the row. They tried to make a big deal around them, with new formatting when Amazon announced it. But I really wouldn't fess much about that, they're a bit of a gimmick in kfx as well. Not without flaws when it comes to different fonts and font sizes, and it's not quite easy to make them to work when editing books.

Top: KFX dropcaps. Notice how they become out of line when different fonts are used, and how text flow is off at third row because of extra tab space that would not be used if manual typesetting was used.
Bottom: print dropcaps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121.png
Views:	26
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	211001  
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #14
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Drop caps work on KF8 format, but you have to fiddle with the formatting to get them to line up properly.

With KFX, you just set the size (which, admittedly, is still a bit of a pain, as it's nowhere close to the same number as in KF8 or EPUB) and the Kindle handles all the alignment, so that the drop cap has a baseline that is even with the baseline of a line of text, and the top lines up with the top of the first line in the paragraph. Spacing between the drop cap and the text is also automatic.

KFX uses a method similar to the initial-letter property but with fewer features. I hope that Kindle conversion starts to support initial-letter soon.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Support for both is poor in either format.
Uh, what non-amazon platform supports xray or wordwise at all?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert