Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 05-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So, if AAA calls your keys -- do they already know to send a tow-truck?

Nissan warns U.S. cell phones can disable car keys

Reuters is reporting that Nissan is warning U.S. customers that their Cell Phones may reprogram the 'Smart Keys' rendering them unusable, and converting Happy Nissan drivers into unhappy non-Nissan walkers.
Quote:
Cellphones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.
Here are some details:
Quote:
"We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cellphone, outgoing or incoming calls have the potential to alter the electronic code inside the I-Key," Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore said.

"The car won't start and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.

The problem has occurred in a "very small percentage" of cars sold, Bazemore said. He also said a new version of the I-Key would be available in the fall.

Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.
Apparently this only affects Nissan's topmost line of cars. I remember my dad telling me as a kid that power windows were unreliable and they would usually fail when they were down, and it was raining. Now, power windows are ubiquitous, and they seem to be more reliable than the drive-trains of some cars. I guess luxury automobiles have a technological 'bleeding edge' too.

Full article here.