Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
SteveV
SteveV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
E-book download ability in Australia

Hi all,

I realise that I cannot use the B&N bookstore built into the Nook due to geographic restrictions.

My question is though, can I use the Nook to directly order through Amazon, Borders or other e-book retailers?

Or do I have to do it via my computer and side load the book etc into the Nook?

Sorry for what may appear to be a dumb question but I want to make sure before I take the plunge when I get over there in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

Steve.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Hi all,

I realise that I cannot use the B&N bookstore built into the Nook due to geographic restrictions.

My question is though, can I use the Nook to directly order through Amazon, Borders or other e-book retailers?

Or do I have to do it via my computer and side load the book etc into the Nook?

Sorry for what may appear to be a dumb question but I want to make sure before I take the plunge when I get over there in a few weeks.

Thanks again.

Steve.
You can buy B&N e-books using your PC (from the B&N website).
1. Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address. The billing address is not verified with your credit card company, so this will work fine.
2. Install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50).

Before buying books first start the VPN to get an US IP-address. When the VPN is active you can buy books.
You only need the VPN to buy books. When the books are bought and in your B&N library you are allowed to download them anywhere in the world.
If your Nook Color has a Wifi connection the books will automatically be downloaded to the Nook.

Amazon e-books can only be read on the Kindle.
You can buy and sideload books from any store that sells ePub books (with Adobe DRM).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
SteveV
SteveV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can buy B&N e-books using your PC (from the B&N website).
1. Register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. You can use any valid US address. The billing address is not verified with your credit card company, so this will work fine.
2. Install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN ($8.50).

Before buying books first start the VPN to get an US IP-address. When the VPN is active you can buy books.
You only need the VPN to buy books. When the books are bought and in your B&N library you are allowed to download them anywhere in the world.
If your Nook Color has a Wifi connection the books will automatically be downloaded to the Nook.

Amazon e-books can only be read on the Kindle.
You can buy and sideload books from any store that sells ePub books (with Adobe DRM).
Thanks for the info.

I will be buying when I get over to the states.

Steve
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote