Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
joangolfing
joangolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW and Fire HD
Paperwhite 5.4.2 update questions

I just updated to 5.4.2. It gave me no options for making my own Collection titles. I want to streamline what's on my paperwhite with only current books. They say if I delete their collection topic I will lose it on all my Kindle devices. Is there another discussion of the problems with 5.4.2 on this forum.
joangolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, a very long thread is here.

In a nutshell, with 5.4.2 the PW2 will show ALL of your Cloud Collections, whether you want it to or not. And all books/docs stored within the Cloud will be displayed within Collections on the PW2 but will be greyed out if they are not also on the PW2. Any changes (renaming, deleting, etc.) you make to Collections from your PW2 will be reflected on all applicable devices and apps. So no more unique Collections for different applicable devices/apps. It is a real mess.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
joangolfing
joangolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW and Fire HD
Could I rename them as I want and organize what goes in each collection.
joangolfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you really have a large eBook Collection, then you need a Kindle Fire HDX 2013 and the following LARGE eBook Library apps:

http://www.amazon.com/Collections-fo...ibrary+manager

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Weckworth...ibrary+manager

Those apps are fairly new and have lots of problems but they are under continuous development and will easily handle lots and lots of eBooks SYSTEMATICALLY.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The people posting in this thread aren't inquiring about tablets.

I would certainly not recommend the kindle fire with the apps suggested, though I haven't tried those apps, I tried another one (not recently) and it was terrible.

I recommend any open android tablet + Calibre Companion app for collection management on a tablet.

I recommend Kobo for collection management on an eink reader.

I can't recommend Paperwhite 2 now, after this latest update.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems good EXCEPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The people posting in this thread aren't inquiring about tablets.

I would certainly not recommend the kindle fire with the apps suggested, though I haven't tried those apps, I tried another one (not recently) and it was terrible.

I recommend any open android tablet + Calibre Companion app for collection management on a tablet.

I recommend Kobo for collection management on an eink reader.

I can't recommend Paperwhite 2 now, after this latest update.
See this on the Calibre Companion page:

"It is a library organizer for your device. You can sort and group books by author, tags, series, etc. You can launch your book reader application to read a book (works with most reader applications except for Amazon Kindle)".

However, as you say it did get more favorable reviews than the other two I cited earlier.

I also agree, that the Paperwhite 2013 should NOT be purchased now since a new Paperwhite 2014 will be out early next year per this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227781

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How on Earth do you reach that conclusion? The article merely cites an unsubstantiated rumour that there MAY be a new device in Q2 of next year. How do you get from that to a definitive statement that there WILL be such a device? Do you have some source of information that's not in the article? Please share it with us, if you do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

The Article used the word, "LEARNED," not "rumor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How on Earth do you reach that conclusion? The article merely cites an unsubstantiated rumour that there MAY be a new device in Q2 of next year. How do you get from that to a definitive statement that there WILL be such a device? Do you have some source of information that's not in the article? Please share it with us, if you do.
I jumped to that conclusion due to the wording of the article. It is NOT true that its just a rumor at this point in time.

The detail of that article gives it a lot of substance.

Here is the link to the original article and the word, "rumor," is NOT part of the article. Instead the word, "LEARNED," was used:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/ama...8TechCrunch%29

"Amazon is now preparing a new Kindle Paperwhite for release in early Q2 of next year, TechCrunch has learned." That does NOT sound like an IMAGINED rumor.

That article was just posted EIGHT HOURS ago.

Some other posters here have used the word, "rumor," but they did not post links to any articles using that word.

Do you have a link to an Amazon denial or the change to rumor status?

For me the big change is the special font Amazon is developing for this new device. That could be a deal breaker for lots of folks including me if the reviews really praise it. At my age ease of reading is the main reason I keep buying the latest and greatest of the Kindle eReaders.

I'd still recommend that anyone wanting to purchase a PW 2013 now wait for the PW 2014 and, if they really need a new eReader for Christmas, go for the HDX 2013.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
See this on the Calibre Companion page:

"It is a library organizer for your device. You can sort and group books by author, tags, series, etc. You can launch your book reader application to read a book (works with most reader applications except for Amazon Kindle)".
Exactly why I said an "open android tablet" which means not a Kindle Fire. I run Calibre Companion on Nook HD and on a rooted (n2a) Kindle Fire HD 2012. It is the best ebook organizer for tablets. Too bad Kindle Fire is not an open tablet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
According the article they've seen the prototype and have asked questions about it so it looks legit unless this blog is known to lie? I've was under impression they are a good source.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
According the article they've seen the prototype and have asked questions about it so it looks legit unless this blog is known to lie? I've was under impression they are a good source.
Prototypes don't necessarily equate to production devices. Until Amazon announce it, it's a rumour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

Possible leak by Amazon

Quote:
Prototypes don't necessarily equate to production devices. Until Amazon announce it, it's a rumour.
Amazon may have intentionally leaked that information to TechCrunch to test the market for possible new generation Kindles every 6 months rather than every 12 months.

Maybe they are reading our responses right here as well as across the internet to evaluate their marketing strategy options.

So far as I am concerned, I would be eager to buy my favorite toys every 6 months rather than have to wait with baited breath for 12 whole months.

They would be far better off having folks buy a PW in the Spring and HDX in the Fall rather than just buy one of them in the Fall.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-25-2013 at 11:33 AM.