Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #1
star-soup
star-soup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Question Emojis and supplemental fonts

I've been reading a downloaded fanfic on my kobo which includes emojis. With the default font, the emojis don't display at all. I've tried a few solutions with varying results, but am still looking for something better if anyone has found a good way to handle this.

What I've tried so far:
  • Sideloading the NotoEmoji font, then setting the main font for the book to Kobo's default, and choosing NotoEmoji as a "supplementary" font. This results in no change from what I see when I don't have a supplementary font selected. It seems like it isn't referencing it at all.
  • Setting the NotoEmoji font as the primary font for the book. This results in the emojis displaying... but the text being almost unreadable, with random dropped characters and weird spacing.
  • Sideloading the free Symbola font and setting this as the main font for the book when I open it on my Kobo. This results in all the text and most of the emojis displaying, but the text font is pretty bad to look at and the emojis are nonstandard. Same for the OpenSansEmoji font. Most emojis display but there's still a bunch that show up as empty square boxes

The questions I'm currently wondering about based on these experiments:
  • Is there a step I'm missing to get the kepub on my kobo to actually use the supplemental fonts I tell it I want it to reference?
  • Is there a way to package an emoji font with the kepub in Calibre? I use Calibre to edit the metadata for all my sideloaded books but can't figure out how to embed a secondary font for the emojis
Thanks in advance for any help on this!
star-soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You don't set the emoji font "as the primary font for the book".
You set the emoji font where the emojis are used.

Import the emoji font file into the ebook.
In your CSS you would then add this...

PHP Code:
@font-face {

srcurl(NotoEmoji-Regular.ttf);

font-family"Noto Emoji";

font-weightnormal;

font-stylenormal;

font-stretchnormal;
  }
emoji {

font-family"Noto Emoji"sans-serif;

Then in the body, you would have this...

PHP Code:
<span class="emoji">&#55357;�</span> 
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
fonts, kobo