Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Favorite music download sites

I know this isn't about ebooks but it seems many of us here are fans of electronic content in general. I've been looking for a new site for downloading music (only legal, of course) and just wondering what your favorites are. I'd like to get away from iTunes.

Thanks,
Alisa
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Mine is emusic.com. It is subscription based and offers some interesting stuff you wont find in the stores. It is of course legal.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there any good music sites that offer music for download in any sort of lossless format (such as FLAC) without DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are there any good music sites that offer music for download in any sort of lossless format (such as FLAC) without DRM?
Yeah, but they're not really legal...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Yeah, but they're not really legal...
If I am going to pay for music online, I want all the bits that came on the CD.
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's a few.
http://www.mindawn.com/
http://www.airlock.be/shape/
http://magnatune.com/
more...

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php (free legal live recordings)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Thanks, everybody! Looks like I have a lot of stuff to check out.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I am going to pay for music online, I want all the bits that came on the CD.
You're probably better off buying CDs in that case. I suspect that the files for lossless files are too big for most download services.

What are you playing your downloaded music on? I have a pair of extremely good headphones (Bose "QuietComfort 2" noise cancelling headphones) and, using those on my iPod, I honestly can't tell the difference between 320kbit MP3 files and the CD original. I can if I use my superb HiFi system (which is why I buy CDs) but for "music on the go" there's nothing wrong with high bit-rate MP3s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly can't tell the difference between 320kbit MP3 files and the CD original.
You must be using the "insane" setting on Lame
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I rip my CDs with iTunes. That allows you to set whatever bit rate you wish.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
You must be using the "insane" setting on Lame
I've tried the insane setting on LAME and found it turned out to be not all that good.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What are you playing your downloaded music on? I have a pair of extremely good headphones (Bose "QuietComfort 2" noise cancelling headphones) and, using those on my iPod, I honestly can't tell the difference between 320kbit MP3 files and the CD original. I can if I use my superb HiFi system (which is why I buy CDs) but for "music on the go" there's nothing wrong with high bit-rate MP3s.
Are the QC2s really that good? I have heard that they introduce all sorts of effects into the sound due to the Noise Cancelling. I have a pair of Sennheiser PXC200 noise cancellers, and while they are great on a plane or in a noisy room, in a quiet room they make a horrible mess of the sound.

I now use a pair of Shure E4 canalphones with the foam tips and they block out as much background noise as the PXC200s (or the QC2s) but without the electronics between me and the music so it sounds great in a quiet room too.

As for a player I still have a Rio Karma. Lovely device from the folks at Denon & Marantz (who know a little bit about audio). MP3, OGG and Flac supported natively, 5 band parametric EQ, 55mW per channel for high impedence headphones, and a real on the go playlist editor that lets you load, edit and save playlists on the device. Only 20GB though, and the hard disks tend to fail, and replacements are getting rare. That said people are fitting CF cards to them now, so a 32GB CF card will be a nice upgrade once I can afford one...
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
Are the QC2s really that good? I have heard that they introduce all sorts of effects into the sound due to the Noise Cancelling. I have a pair of Sennheiser PXC200 noise cancellers, and while they are great on a plane or in a noisy room, in a quiet room they make a horrible mess of the sound.
They are superb. Do try them out if you get the chance. If you have an Apple Store nearby, they sell them and (at least in my local one) have them out on demo.