Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you have any clue on how many ACTIVE users Calibre has?
Does the number of active users justify insulting any of them? No, it doesn't.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Does the number of active users justify insulting any of them? No, it doesn't.
When they act like they are Entitled like you are, why not.
Maybe you will learn to be reasonable and admit what issue you are having is not worth the effort of the developer to spend time to work around ONE PERSONS odd setup.
Kovid has put quite a bit of effort to support mainstream Linux distros, yet they have the smallest percentage of users.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Why this is a Calibre bug: This buggy library, libQt6Core.so.6, is distributed with Calibre and blocks installation and running of Calibre on any Linux system affected by this bug. Therefore it is a bug in Calibre.

Note: none of the other libraries distributed with Calibre have this bug. Only libQt6Core.so.6.
Have you filed a bug on the QT6 bug reporter? The library you are complaining about is created by QT not by Kovid Goyal.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:20 PM   #19
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
When they act like they are Entitled like you are, why not.
Maybe you will learn to be reasonable and admit what issue you are having is not worth the effort of the developer to spend time to work around ONE PERSONS odd setup.
Kovid has put quite a bit of effort to support mainstream Linux distros, yet they have the smallest percentage of users.
Debian Linux, which I am running in WSL, is about as mainstream as it gets.

And it's not like I left it to Kovid or anyone else to figure out how to fix it. I provided references to details about why the bug happens and how to fix it.

I think I was being entirely reasonable.

My expectations are an acknowledgement of the bug (since this is a bug report) and if he can't fix it then something to that effect explaining why. I can accept this. What I got instead was abuse: why aren't you using the native Windows version?

And I'm the entitled one here?

Pfft.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:22 PM   #20
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm curious if the same issue exists with WSL 2

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Does not happen on the WSL2 environment I tested against.

Edit:
And to address what I expect is the next question: why not use WSL2? Because file I/O on the native Windows file system is unusably slow from WSL2.

Last edited by ratinox; 09-19-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:09 PM   #21
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you filed a bug on the QT6 bug reporter? The library you are complaining about is created by QT not by Kovid Goyal.
I don't know if Kovid compiles the libraries himself or if he gets them from Qt upstream. If he is compiling them himself then I'm in the right place. If he gets them from Qt then sure, I can file a bug report but he should file one as well since he is their customer redistributing their libraries.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go read the bug report you linked. The bug is in either WSL or glibc or Qt. Get it fixed where it belongs. Stop expecting me through jump through hoops to satisfy your, to put it mildly, idiosyncratic use case. I am not going to change how I build Qt which requires days of work and has unknown risk with potential breakage that requires testing across dozens of special snowflake Linux distros because you are stupid enough to want to use Linux on Windows. Pick your poison and if you insist on trying to have your cake and eating it too, do your own work to support your usage.

WSL is EOLed in favor of WSL2 because Microsoft realized it was a stupid idea. And WSL2 is a stupider idea. All that remains is for you to realize that trying to use linux on windows is the stupidest idea of all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:28 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@ratinox Since the installer is a shell script, why not just download it and alter it so that if the host is WSL 1 use the command to strip the section from the library.

If you do this then any future installs you do would function.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
@ratinox Since the installer is a shell script, why not just download it and alter it so that if the host is WSL 1 use the command to strip the section from the library.

If you do this then any future installs you do would function.

The installer isn't just a shell script. It's a lot of Python code wrapped up in a little bit of Bourne shell that extracts and executes the Python code. The strip command needs to be in that nested Python after the tarball is extracted but before it calls calibre_postinstall.

The clever trick is figuring out exactly where to stuff the strip command and inserting it into the wget stream. This, I think, will patch the bugged library without mucking with the digital signatures and let the rest of the installation process work as designed.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:40 PM   #25
superdrew999
superdrew999 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I'm curious if the same issue exists with WSL 2

lol I'm still getting the issue
superdrew999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
WSL is EOLed in favor of WSL2 because Microsoft realized it was a stupid idea. And WSL2 is a stupider idea. All that remains is for you to realize that trying to use linux on windows is the stupidest idea of all.
I remember MS SFU. I realised that dual boot was better (1998).
Then eventually a VM to either have Linux on a Windows box or Windows on a Linux box. Ironically MS "compatibility" solution for old windows programs on Win 10 is a VM. Which will also run Linux and is similar to one on Linux to run XP/Win7/Win10.
SFU was stupid
WSL of any kind is stupid.

I don't bother with WINE now either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote