Nameless Being

Replace truncating found text

Using this search: <p><b>([A-Z]+\s[A-Z]+)+</b></p>

the following string was found and the entire string was highlighted
<p><b>MEDICATIONS THAT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN</b></p>

but applying this replace: <h4>\1</h4>

I got the following truncated result <h4>T GAIN</h4>

What I was hoping to do was to find all occurrences of
<p><b>ONLY WORDS IN CAPS</b></p>, regardless of the number of words and replace it with <h4>ONLY WORDS IN CAPS</h4>. Looking to capture strings of two or more words.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Friesen View Post
Using this search: <p><b>([A-Z]+\s[A-Z]+)+</b></p>

the following string was found and the entire string was highlighted
<p><b>MEDICATIONS THAT CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN</b></p>

but applying this replace: <h4>\1</h4>

I got the following truncated result <h4>T GAIN</h4>

What I was hoping to do was to find all occurrences of
<p><b>ONLY WORDS IN CAPS</b></p>, regardless of the number of words and replace it with <h4>ONLY WORDS IN CAPS</h4>. Looking to capture strings of two or more words.
Perhaps if you edited your search string to allow white space as an allowed character?
Code:
<p><b>([A-Z\s]+)+</b></p>
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 02:04 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm pretty sure that extra plus sign is culprit. So:

Code:
<p><b>([A-Z\s]+)</b></p>
That's assuming there is no other punctuation. Or numbers or anything. I frequently use:

Code:
<p><b>(.+?)</b></p>
That just grabs everything between those tags but isn't greedy, so it won't be to dangerous.

Or maybe:

Code:
<p><b>(.+\w)</b></p>
That would help if there are paragraphs that are in bold as well as titles. It assumes the titles don't have punctuation at the end.

Disclaimer: These are completely untested.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Ted Friesen
Nameless Being

Thanks guys for the ideas.

I'll try them out. My reason for not using <p><b>(.+?)</b></p> or <p><b>(.+\w)</b></p> was that I needed to catch only capitalized words.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This seems to work for me in Sigil:
Code:
<p><b>([[:upper:]+[:blank:]]+)</b></p>
Whereas in its ASCII form it does not:
Code:
<p><b>([[A-Z]+[ \t]]+)</b></p>
Score one for verbose POSIX.

Last edited by hobnail; 07-30-2020 at 04:34 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm beginning to get the feeling that this thread has devolved into how many different regexes will give the same result.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote