Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Pirated ebooks on Google Play?

Do any of these ebooks look suspicious? They seem to be only available on Google Play:

Probable pirate links deleted by moderator

Last edited by HarryT; 02-02-2015 at 03:45 AM. Reason: BookZilla
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd be more suspicious if they were offered for free. Especially the C.J. Cherryh books as (as far as I know) she is still with us. Of course anything is possible, but are you sure they are only available there? I'm sure there are a lot of ebook sites out there (not all of them legal) so it might be that they are up for sale at other sites and you just haven't found them yet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'd be more suspicious if they were offered for free. Especially the C.J. Cherryh books as (as far as I know) she is still with us. Of course anything is possible, but are you sure they are only available there? I'm sure there are a lot of ebook sites out there (not all of them legal) so it might be that they are up for sale at other sites and you just haven't found them yet.
Actually it is the C. J. Cherryh books I am most suspicious of, because two of the books (Heavy Time and Hellburner) are available for sale from the author's website, and the site has a page that lists all the other places that the books may be legally purchased, and there is no other place listed where these two books can be legally purchased.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't read much of hers myself. I did read one about cat like beings who were on a space ship racing towards the end of the universe via time dilation. I can't recall the name of the book though. I suppose it is possible that someone illegally uploaded the books you list to Google. Certainly it happened over at Amazon with 1984 some yrs ago. I wonder why Google books hasn't caught it though if that's the case.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I haven't read much of hers myself. I did read one about cat like beings who were on a space ship racing towards the end of the universe via time dilation. I can't recall the name of the book though. I suppose it is possible that someone illegally uploaded the books you list to Google. Certainly it happened over at Amazon with 1984 some yrs ago. I wonder why Google books hasn't caught it though if that's the case.
The Chauner series
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Actually it is the C. J. Cherryh books I am most suspicious of, because two of the books (Heavy Time and Hellburner) are available for sale from the author's website, and the site has a page that lists all the other places that the books may be legally purchased, and there is no other place listed where these two books can be legally purchased.
Most likely pirated. C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine series won't be release in ebook until this September. (one of the books listed in the first post is from that series). Amazon has the same problem. I saw a couple of Roger Zelazny ebooks, included the first Amber book that the customer service rep assured me was legit (I called since I was skeptical). A day later it was confirmed by Roger Zelazny's son that it was a pirated copy. Many of these ebooks stores depend on an honor system and require the actual copyright owner to send a take down request.

I've found that if you think it's suspicious and it's only in one ebook store, it's most likely pirated.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Chauner series
It may be. I don't recall a lot of the book. Wikipedia spells it as Chanur though. Are any of her books currently (legally) available in ebook format?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Given the high probability that these are pirated books, I've deleted the links in the original message.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It may be. I don't recall a lot of the book. Wikipedia spells it as Chanur though. Are any of her books currently (legally) available in ebook format?
Closed Circle Gateway ebook-catalog/ is the authors run site And has books no longer under contract (plus other work)

The Chanur series is not there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Lots. For example Foreigner (DAW)
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard

I reported some of the books to the authors and publishers, and some have been removed from sale, only for the exact same book to be uploaded under a different publisher name within 24 hours.

I think Google and other retailers should require a deposit from those uploading books, it might discourage the pirates if they stand to lose some money.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I reported some of the books to the authors and publishers, and some have been removed from sale, only for the exact same book to be uploaded under a different publisher name within 24 hours
I'm not sure it would be reasonable for them to check every book before it went up, but I do think it would be reasonable for them to flag titles for further verification if they have been removed because they were pirated and are resubmitted (to prevent the above). Not sure if a deposit would have an impact or not. Good idea, but where does the balance between being high enough to discourage the pirates seeking a quick buck and being too onerous for legit publishers to have to put it up. Tough one.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:27 AM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'm not sure it would be reasonable for them to check every book before it went up, but I do think it would be reasonable for them to flag titles for further verification if they have been removed because they were pirated and are resubmitted (to prevent the above). Not sure if a deposit would have an impact or not. Good idea, but where does the balance between being high enough to discourage the pirates seeking a quick buck and being too onerous for legit publishers to have to put it up. Tough one.
Google has a system for youtube that can identify pirated videos or copyrighted music. Should not be very hard for them to test each uploaded book for legitimacy. If they had such a system it will also give a kick in the backsides of publishers to digitise older titles and give google rights to scan them. As google cant identify a book as pirated unless it has the original. Although rights for different regions being with different publishers would be another headache for Google.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote