Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 4 stuck in boot loop

Brand new, black, Kindle 4. Plugged it in, registered, sent 200+ books to it from Calibre via USB.

Device rebooted itself, and within 10-20 seconds of getting back to Home screen, it reboots again. Repeat and so on. When it gets to the Home screen, it's completely blank but for 1 entry saying "Archived Items (0)". Previously, before adding the books, I could see the Welcome Letter and User Guide, etc, listed on the Home Screen.

During the 10 seconds or so it's at the Home screen, I can open the Menu, etc, but it's very sluggish and unresponsive.

If I plug in the USB cable, I can see all 200+ books in the Documents folder. Also, the message appears on the screen that you usually get saying it's connected via USB, and the message stays there (as it should) - the Kindle doesn't go into the boot loop while it's connected.

I tried holding in the Power Button for 30 seconds, didn't help.

I did notice that it's on 4.1.0 and one of the times I plugged it in I seen an Update xxxxxxx.bin file, which was 9.9MB. After a few reboots it was still there, so I tried deleting it, but it didn't help, Kindle just constantly reboots.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If its brand new, just return it and get a replacement? And when you get the replacement, don't load so many books onto it at the one time. If you switched it on and registered it without any problems but then it started rebooting once you loaded your 200+ books onto it, that points to something wrong with what you loaded onto it?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Brand new, black, Kindle 4. Plugged it in, registered, sent 200+ books to it from Calibre via USB.

Device rebooted itself, and within 10-20 seconds of getting back to Home screen, it reboots again. Repeat and so on. When it gets to the Home screen, it's completely blank but for 1 entry saying "Archived Items (0)". Previously, before adding the books, I could see the Welcome Letter and User Guide, etc, listed on the Home Screen.

During the 10 seconds or so it's at the Home screen, I can open the Menu, etc, but it's very sluggish and unresponsive.

If I plug in the USB cable, I can see all 200+ books in the Documents folder. Also, the message appears on the screen that you usually get saying it's connected via USB, and the message stays there (as it should) - the Kindle doesn't go into the boot loop while it's connected.

I tried holding in the Power Button for 30 seconds, didn't help.

I did notice that it's on 4.1.0 and one of the times I plugged it in I seen an Update xxxxxxx.bin file, which was 9.9MB. After a few reboots it was still there, so I tried deleting it, but it didn't help, Kindle just constantly reboots.
Try removing the books you added and see if that stops the rebooting. If so you got a bad book. If that does fix it do a factory reset next then slowly readd your books in batches of 20.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Try removing the books you added and see if that stops the rebooting. If so you got a bad book. If that does fix it do a factory reset next then slowly readd your books in batches of 20.
Can you elaborate on how you'd go about removing the books if the device is in a rebooting loop?

EDIT: Sorry, I see that the OP does say that he can connect the device to USB. Yes, in that case simply delete the books from the "documents" folder.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I thought it was the Kindle, so got a replacement, but the same thing happened. I tried the above solution (delete all books from documents folder) and this worked. I then re-added a batch of 200 and the Kindle worked fine. I then added another batch of 20 from a different Calibre Library and the problem happened again, so one of those 20 is causing the grief.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, some file is probably giving the document indexer some headache. Try to bisect further, then try some forth-and-back conversions in Calibre.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote