Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
lotusmonk
lotusmonk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
BeBook Neo vs Cybook Orizon

Hi guys,
first of all thanks to this community for clarifying a lot of things I wanted to ask in other threads!

As many other users I´m planning to buy an ebook reader and would like to ask seasoned users/owners around before I do so.

My main priorities for the device as a student are
* convenient highlighting / notes function (therefore I value highly touchscreen with the use of a stylus)
* wifi connectibility with a basic web browser for checking emails / googling necessary stuff (3G not really needed)
* affordability (tighter budget had me rule out PocketBook 603 which seems ideal for my needs but too expensive)

As far as I´ve been able to "research" into available models
BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 and Cybook Orizon and PocketBook 302
come into play.

Now since I don ´t have the chance to test them out myself and have not been able to find a comparison of these 2(3) models, I wanted to ask you whether you would be able to grant me more insight into the main advantages/disadvantages of these models (or maybe even broaden my horizons with some other devices that you know of).
I´m able to get them both at vaguely the same price here so without some additional info I´m stuck on this crossroad

Thanks very much in advance for your time!

Jakub

Edit: I´ve found out a nice deal for PocketBook 302 so if you have any experience with it as well I am very interested in your opinions!

Last edited by lotusmonk; 01-07-2011 at 09:09 AM.
lotusmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusmonk View Post
Hi guys,
first of all thanks to this community for clarifying a lot of things I wanted to ask in other threads!

As many other users I´m planning to buy an ebook reader and would like to ask seasoned users/owners around before I do so.

My main priorities for the device as a student are
* convenient highlighting / notes function (therefore I value highly touchscreen with the use of a stylus)
* wifi connectibility with a basic web browser for checking emails / googling necessary stuff (3G not really needed)
* affordability (tighter budget had me rule out PocketBook 603 which seems ideal for my needs but too expensive)

As far as I´ve been able to "research" into available models
BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 and Cybook Orizon
come into play.

Now since I don ´t have the chance to test them out myself and have not been able to find a comparison of these 2(3) models, I wanted to ask you whether you would be able to grant me more insight into the main advantages/disadvantages of these models (or maybe even broaden my horizons with some other devices that you know of).
I´m able to get them both at vaguely the same price here so without some additional info I´m stuck on this crossroad

Thanks very much in advance for your time!

Jakub
Aren't they the same thing just with different names on them? I am fairly sure they are....
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
lotusmonk

BeBook Neo and Onyx Boox 60 are the same model with different brands but as far as I know Cybook Orizon is a different thing.
Looks are similar, but the features (according to the specs found on their page) are different - it should have G-sensor and rotate the screens according to the position and be controllable with fingers.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BeBook Neo and Onyx Boox 60 are the same model with different brands but as far as I know Cybook Orizon is a different thing.
Looks are similar, but the features (according to the specs found on their page) are different - it should have G-sensor and rotate the screens according to the position and be controllable with fingers.
Thanks for straightening it out!

So the Cybook does sound far better for me, having a finger controllable touchscreen.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The Cybook sounds far worse to me. It has a Sipix screen, with worse contrast than the Vizplex screen of the Neo / Boox.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The three devices have different touch technologies. The PocketBook 302 has a resistive touch screen (usable with stylus or finger), the Neo has a Wacom touch screen (usable with Wacom stylus only), and the Orizon has a capacitive touch screen (usable with finger only). The Wacom is the most accurate, and the capacitive the least accurate touch (e.g. for hand writing). Also, the Orizon is using a Sipix screen, which has lower contrast to the E Ink Vizplex screens of the other two. The resistive layer on the 302 makes the screen shiny (more glare) but does not reduce clarity much. Wacom sensors on the Neo are below the screen and do not effect clarity at all. The new PocketBook 603 and 903 use Wacom touch, so this suggests that PocketBook now thinks this has the best mix of capabilities.

A 4th option might be the Sony PRS-650 (or the smaller PRS-350), although they do not include WiFi. These have an IR-sensor touch screen that can use finger or stylus, and an E Ink Pearl screen with even more contrast than Vizplex. The PRS-650 may be out of your price range, although it is often discounted. The earlier PRS-600 used a resistive touch screen.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The Cybook sounds far worse to me. It has a Sipix screen, with worse contrast than the Vizplex screen of the Neo / Boox.
Ah, I see, it sounded good to me because I am used to swipe page with my Sony.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
lotusmonk

Wallcraft thanks a LOT for this comparison!
Sony PRS-650 was one of the first models I was considering but the lack of Wi-Fi had me ditch it eventually As far as I know the Sony devices have only 3G (PRS 900SC), (which is not "free") right?
The PocketBook pro 603 seems like the most ideal thing, but the pricetag really puts it out of my reach.
I´m going to read about the PB 302 now to be able to roughly compare it to Boox/BeBook Neo.

I would be most grateful if anyone would be able to compare these models´ highlighting / annotation abilities!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Wallcraft thanks a LOT for this comparison!
Sony PRS-650 was one of the first models I was considering but the lack of Wi-Fi had me ditch it eventually As far as I know the Sony devices have only 3G (PRS 900SC), (which is not "free") right?
The PocketBook pro 603 seems like the most ideal thing, but the pricetag really puts it out of my reach.
I´m going to read about the PB 302 now to be able to roughly compare it to Boox/BeBook Neo.

I would be most grateful if anyone would be able to compare these models´ highlighting / annotation abilities!
You can ask this in the Pocketbook forum, there is always someone from Pocketbook available and ready to reply. This is awesome, I think.

And btw I guess you should concentrate on the device being a reader and how good its in that discipline and use your phone for surfing the I-net.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I understand that people like taking notes on a touchscreen but it is really easy to take notes on the Kindle. The keyboad is easy to use. Harry uses it to take notes on the books that he is editing for Mobile Read, he has posted this many times.

The Kindle is less expensive then the Sony, has 3G/WiFi or just WiFi, has an internet browser that functions ok, has a very large bookstore, and has amazing customer service.

If you live in the US, I would suggest going to a Best Buy and trying the Kindle and the Sonys there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
lotusmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
And btw I guess you should concentrate on the device being a reader and how good its in that discipline and use your phone for surfing the I-net.
Well the situation is that I would like to buy a reader which is also capable of serving as a backup browser when necessary. 3G net in my phone is kind of out of my financial reach, when compared to free wifi hotspots, not mentioning that ANY reader capable of surfing the web will do so 10x better than my phone (which I don´t intend to replace that soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you live in the US
I don´t, and I don´t know anybody personally who does. It makes things a bit more complicated. But I´ve been in a local bookstore today and tried out Sony PRS 950sc... It´s really good and fits my needs very well.. but the price is really high here.

decisions decisions..
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Well the situation is that I would like to buy a reader which is also capable of serving as a backup browser when necessary. 3G net in my phone is kind of out of my financial reach, when compared to free wifi hotspots, not mentioning that ANY reader capable of surfing the web will do so 10x better than my phone (which I don´t intend to replace that soon).

I don´t, and I don´t know anybody personally who does. It makes things a bit more complicated. But I´ve been in a local bookstore today and tried out Sony PRS 950sc... It´s really good and fits my needs very well.. but the price is really high here.

decisions decisions..
I thought the prs950 was only sold in the US?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
And??? Sony is not sold in Russia at all i.e. and still manages to be the second most sold Readercompany over there...
Old 01-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Of the original 3 in the OP the Neo/Boox is clearly the superior reader. Its easier faster and all around beter software implementations. The newest firmware now allow for reading all Office formats as well including Docx, PPTx XLS etc.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
lotusmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Of the original 3 in the OP the Neo/Boox is clearly the superior reader. Its easier faster and all around beter software implementations. The newest firmware now allow for reading all Office formats as well including Docx, PPTx XLS etc.
That´s exactly what I´ve been able to discover from various reviews and comments so far. Thanks for backing it up for me

I´ve found out today that PB302 isn´t quite versed in highlighting / annotations so my choices are

Boox 60 / BeBook Neo for a better price offer

or

Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition with better/bigger screen and a couple of added bonuses

both from USA I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
It´s actually available in the Czech republic as well..
..for measly 400eur / 526dollars.
Funny thing, the official Czech Sony page doesn´t list it (or any other reader) in its products but there seems to be a company that imports them

Last edited by lotusmonk; 01-09-2011 at 04:02 PM.