Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-07-2024, 09:42 AM   #1
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master
VeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Android tablets, Android phones and PC's both Windows and Linux.
7.12 version (Debian Linux) is not convert fonts

I just today upgraded from an earlier version of 7 to 7.12 today. I am converting from MS Word DOCX files with all fonts embedded.

I just did some conversions earlier today with the previous version and they were fine. But this version isn't doing it. Has anyone else experiencing this?

Here is a side by side. The original DOCX is the same. These are what I get from the epub conversion.
VeryWellAged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 10:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since you are on Linux, first make sure you are using the official calibre binaries not debian's calibre package. Then if you have a problem with conversion, follow th einstructions in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master
VeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavensVeryWellAged is a rising star in the heavens

I used the one on the Calibre Download site.

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
Old 06-07-2024, 11:36 PM   #4
VeryWellAged
Eye pea vee for master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since you are on Linux, first make sure you are using the official calibre binaries not debian's calibre package. Then if you have a problem with conversion, follow th einstructions in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
I have tried to access the bug site, but they didn't send the verification email to my '@ymail.com' account. So I have a ticket opened there. Later, I did get an email from that service confirming my request for assistance, so I have no idea what has gone wrong, but at present I am unable to open a bug report.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:22 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can attach it here, just make sure its not a copyrighted work or if it is extract a representative sample from it and post that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2024, 04:43 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I found that embedding fonts really slowed opening a file to edit.

If Calibre is on the same computer, or if a different computer it has all the same fonts, then embedding fonts in the source isn't needed.
I edit LO Writer in odt and do an extra Save As in docx.
On Calibre Conversion to epub
Look & feel -> Fonts (tab) tick:
[/] Embed all fonts in document
[/] Subset all embedded fonts

Linux Mint 21.3, Mate. Calibre 7.12, but likely I've been doing it for over 8 years. I used to use Word 2002 on XP, but changed to LO Writer on XP, and Calibre 1.38 or something. Switched from XP to Win7 + Linux in Nov 2016 and entirely Linux in Jan 2017.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font conversion