Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
caibbor
caibbor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle 3 Parental Controls Questions

I've got a KK being sent to me in the mail right now, and I'm wondering about the 3.4 update that adds parental controls,

When the parental controls are on for archived items, does that lock access to the archive section altogether and prevent you from seeing the titles of books in the archive, or just the content of them?
caibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
When I look at the Parental Controls menu option I see the following choices.
Web Browser (access to Experimental Web Browser) = turn off
Kindle Store ( Access to Kindle Store) = turn off
Archived Items (Access to Archived Items) = turn off

There is also a note saying that Deregistration, and Reset to Factory Defaults are disabled.

When Kindle Store is locked, you can continue buying books on your computer and sending them to your Kindle.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
caibbor
caibbor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thank you for your reply, though the only thing I'm wondering is whether you can see the titles of books when the Archive is locked.
caibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by caibbor View Post
Thank you for your reply, though the only thing I'm wondering is whether you can see the titles of books when the Archive is locked.
No, you can't.

You can't even see the Archive link - you can only see any titles or collections already on the KK.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Using this (older) thread to ask my question on how to have MORE REFINED parental controls.

A friend bought Kindle NTs for her kids by my suggestion, and she asked me whether it is possible to disable buying books on the Kindle (or setting a password).

I said sure, here's the "parental controls", now I have turned this off, and you can no longer access the kindle shop from the device.

That is not what she wants, however. She wants her kids to be able to browse the Kindle shop on the device, but NOT be able to buy the books without entering another code or password, as her kids (and she herself) have obviously already bought books in error when searching.

Does anybody know of any way to achieve this? Something like "disabling one-click-purchase" ?

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert