Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
when re-converting, save previously edited TOC?

I'm working on a group of ebooks, and learning Calibre as I go.

I'm converting from html to other forms, especially mobi or AZW3, and I have to manually tweak the TOC during conversion. This is a somewhat time consuming process, since I'm still learning and sometimes (often???) have to re-convert a book multiple times to get it right.

thankfully, the metadata stays, but the manually tweaked TOC has to be re-tweaked every time.

Is there a way to retain the TOC that I had to create by hand, when re-converting?

thanks!
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You could use the editor to export the TOC.xhtml file <= this is NOT the NCX
(or use the UnPack utiility to save a copy)

Then re-add after conversion , just usethe same EXACT filename the new conversion used

BUT...
If what you do between may change TOC references, so while it appears, linkage may be broken or just wrong
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
fredex
Enthusiast
fredex began at the beginning.

Device: none
what sort of things would do that?

I'm mostly not editing content, though I may change a font, or from normal to bold, or similar.

would that break the TOC?
fredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredex View Post
what sort of things would do that?

I'm mostly not editing content, though I may change a font, or from normal to bold, or similar.

would that break the TOC?
No, but why convert? Edit the EPUB or AZW3 direct
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote