Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
jete
jete began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite (K5)
Paperwhite development FW 5.3.5 (Kindlet-2.2.jar)

Hi all

I found that there is a very big amount of post about developing for older versions of the Kindle E-Reader but very few when it comes to Kindle Paperwhite. Since I have a new Kindle Paperwhite and wanted to start developing for it I had a few obstacles to master to adapt the tutorials and sources I found. So here is what I think of as needful information if you want to get started with Kindle Paperwhite development. This involves Kindlet-2.2.jar (My firmware is at 5.3.5)

Hope you don't mind the articles are hosted externally

regards jete

Last edited by jete; 07-12-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Amendments according to knc1
jete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have you seen this How to write kindlets ?

I don't know much about writing kindlets. Hope it will be helpful. I think you can adapt to the new API version (Kindlet-2.2.jar).
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) First link returns: server's 404 message.

Could you fix the permissions please.

2) Your "HowTo" articles start with "Make your own developer key".

If your directions are targeted at an audience who will be distributing their applications, would you please recommend using the developer key(s) that we supply here?

The reasons for that are best explained in the thread(s) on the "Combined Developer Keystore" topic here.

In general, the references to cowland are references to very old materials.
Most of that has been replaced with things you can find here (some in the top stickies).
In particular, the Jailbreak referenced on the cowland link does not work with the firmware version you are writing about, but there is one here for the K5 Paperwhite.

3) Credit where credit is due please.

Last edited by knc1; 07-11-2013 at 08:28 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
jete

Re: Have you seen this?

Yes - seen it. But this post actually also isn't 100% correct for the Kindle Paperwhite (FW 5.3.5, Kindlet-2.2.jar) so my posts covers the changes needed to get it running with this envirnonment - that's the point.

(I used the example kindlet wrapper of http://cowlark.com/kindle/getting-started.html)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
jete

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) First link returns: server's 404 message.

Could you fix the permissions please.

2) Your "HowTo" articles start with "Make your own developer key".

If your directions are targeted at an audience who will be distributing their applications, would you please recommend using the developer key(s) that we supply here?

The reasons for that are best explained in the thread(s) on the "Combined Developer Keystore" topic here.

In general, the references to cowland are references to very old materials.
Most of that has been replaced with things you can find here (some in the top stickies).

3) Credit where credit is due please.
Done 1 & 3. I'll take care of 2 later ...
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jete View Post
Done 1 & 3. I'll take care of 2 later ...
Thanks!

The title used by ebs came from early in our learning about Amazon's data mining efforts.
At that time, "Big Brother" was referring only to the sending of log files to Amazon.

As the extent of Amazon's data mining operation has grown with time, so has our usage of the "Blocking Big Brother" phrase.

"Blocking Big Brother" now means (here) doing a lot more than just changing the logging behavior.

Plus - -
Changing files in the file system image provided by Amazon has been found to cause no end of grief for the end-users.
We avoid doing that now, anytime that it can be avoided.

Most of those files are on a check-sum manifest on the Kindle -
Older devices will either error out on an attempt to do an Amazon update or just "brick" -
Some of the newer devices have a "boot to: 'return to Amazon for repair' state" on a checksum manifest failure.

Translation of the above: You might want to reconsider how you write up step 1 (now that I can read it - thanks again).

I am not really trying to be difficult here - just trying to be helpful.
A lot of this stuff was learn the "hard way" here over time.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
sowmya
sowmya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
jar file missing

I tried to download the kindle libraries and couldn't locate the jar file. My kindle paperwhite runs on 5.4.2 and does not have an opt folder! Help!
sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sowmya: Yes it does, on the rootfs. (Not the USB root).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote