Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
fraChristopher
Book Delver
fraChristopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Exclamation CHM to Epub Hebrew / Greek Font Issues

Dear All,

I have a Kobo Aura (no HD), and I'm trying to convert a CHM of a Hebrew grammar book I need for school (it came with my bible software). Although it converts, and looks perfect in the Calibre viewer, as soon as I upload it to my Kobo, it refuses to display the Hebrew and Greek with the proper characters. I've tried side-loading a better Unicode Font, Gentium Plus, and that doesn't work. I also tried embedding the font on the conversion process. No go.

I've included both the original .CHM file (which I had to rename as a pdf to upload it), and the converted Epub that Calibre gave me.

If anyone could help, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks,

-fraChristopher
Attached Files
File Type: epub Gesenius Hebrew Grammar - Gesenius.epub (4.00 MB, 1166 views)
File Type: pdf Gesenius Hebrew Grammar - Gesenius.pdf (2.17 MB, 223 views)
fraChristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
[Note that Gesenius's Hebrew Grammar was written in the early 1800s, and the English translation was published in 1910, and the translator died in 1931.

It is in the public domain almost everywhere.
]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
In the EPUB you attached, you are missing the @font-face declarations. Add this code to the top of the CSS file:

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: Bwgrkl;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src:url("fonts/Bwgrkl.ttf");
}

@font-face {
font-family: BWLexs;
src:url("fonts/BWLexs.ttf");
}

@font-face {
font-family: BwHebb;
src:url("fonts/Bwhebb.ttf");
}
What this says in English is pretty much: "If there is a reference to the font BwHebb, make sure to use the font file located at fonts/Bwhebb.ttf"...

After I added that CSS to the EPUB, it allowed me to read the Hebrew/Greek on Mantano Reader (I didn't test it on any other readers/devices).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraChristopher View Post
I've tried side-loading a better Unicode Font, Gentium Plus, and that doesn't work.
Those Unicode fonts wouldn't work, because this document is not storing the characters as proper Unicode. It seems like the BibleWorks fonts map normal ASCII characters -> Hebrew/Greek characters.

So something like this in the HTML, uses their Greek font "Bwgrkl":

Code:
<span class="calibre14">y</span>
displays as "ψ"

Code:
<span class="calibre15">Mwca,</span>
displays as "Μωχά"

This sort of mapping is absolutely unmaintainable in the long-run, not very accessible, or user friendly.

I looked up a few BibleWorks -> Unicode converters, but they all seemed to be ancient Word macros:

http://duncanjohnson.ca/Student-Writ...e-unicode.html

Maybe there is a much more robust tool out there that has been developed since then to convert these specific fonts to their Unicode equivalents...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote