Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-04-2021, 03:07 AM   #1
Hyphen-ated
-
Hyphen-ated began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Increase file browser button size?

I find the prev/next buttons in the file browser to be tiny and difficult to press, especially when I need to press them many times quickly.
Here's a drawing of roughly what I'd like the file browser UI to look like.

Is it easily possible to configure something along these lines?
I found the settings in defaults.lua that allow for detailed customization of touch areas when actually reading a book, but I haven't been able to find anything similar for the file browser.

It would also be fine by me if these big buttons were invisible, allowing more space to display book metadata, and I'd just have to know to click in the middle in order to open a book.
Hyphen-ated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Just do a swipe gesture
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Just do a swipe gesture
No thank you.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyphen-ated View Post
No thank you.
What have you against swiping?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
In settings → taps & gestures you can customize most of the corners as additional back/forward zones.

Also in settings → screen → you can make the entire UI larger by lowering the DPI setting.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #6
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
In settings → taps & gestures you can customize most of the corners as additional back/forward zones.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I don't see it though. If I go to: [be in file browser] -> settings -> Taps and gestures -> Gesture manager -> Tap corner -> Bottom left -> File browser

Then I get to choose between "Folder up", "Show plus menu", "Refresh content", "Folder shortcuts", "OPDS Catalog". None of those are back/forward. Should I be looking in a different place in the menu hierarchy?
Old 09-06-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What have you against swiping?
Swipe gestures are a sick farce on devices that can't respond to them in real time
Old 09-07-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Swipe gestures are a sick farce on devices that can't respond to them in real time
That is just so very wrong. A swipe is because the user prefers to swipe then to tap.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is just so very wrong. A swipe is because the user prefers to swipe then to tap.
You don't get to tell me what I prefer.

You are free to enjoy whatever UI interactions you want on your own devices.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
There are no actions for filebrowser page turns in Taps&Gestures at the moment.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:46 AM   #11
Hyphen-ated
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
There are no actions for filebrowser page turns in Taps&Gestures at the moment.
There also seems to be no way to change the corner area size in the file browser; it's about as tiny as the next/prev arrow buttons, although easier to hit.

I think I'll take a look at the code and see how much effort it would be to implement page controls and also allow the file browser to configure all the same tap areas as the reading ui.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:14 AM   #12
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Very nice. Page turning with chevrons starts here
https://github.com/koreader/koreader.../menu.lua#L769
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:46 AM   #13
Hyphen-ated
-

I made some progress. https://github.com/Hyphen-ated/korea...af398a4c580a09

Adding configurable actions to page through the file browser was easy.

I also unlocked the ability to configure the top-left and top-right corners, which had been intentionally disabled because the Home and Plus buttons are there. But I want to be able to have top corners that are like, 1/4 the width and height of the screen, so it makes total sense to have these usable even when there's also a tiny button there.

I'm not sure how to make the user-configured tap areas take priority over the item_table entries representing files. Right now my big corner tap areas work great, as long as there's fewer than a full page of files so my tap doesn't get eaten. I haven't found any explicit Z-ordering in the code. Maybe I need to do something in some object's onMenuSelect?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You don't get to tell me what I prefer.

You are free to enjoy whatever UI interactions you want on your own devices.
I'm not telling you that you should prefer swiping to tapping. I'm telling you that your reasoning is wrong. Swiping is not a sick farce for any reason. It's a preference. That is all it is.