Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
New Bullseye OS Upgrade on Raspberry Pi Breaks Calibre Installation?

I'm unable to install the Linux version of Calibre on my Raspberry Pi using normal software add tools or following online instructions on Calibre website. This was possible in the past but it's been some time since I updated the version I use.

Now that I've moved to Bullseye for my OS on the Pi neither version of Calibre is available. Others on Raspberry Pi forums are reporting the same results due to Python not being compiled for ARM (see below).

Does anyone know if this is likely to be fixed or if there are other workarounds such as running Calibre via my iMac for reading and library management as is apparently possible with iOS devices?

Thanks, Dale
-------
"$ sudo apt-get install calibre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:"

"Same problem here. I was waiting for bullseye to get updated calibre, but aparently python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine will not be compiled for arm, and we cant install calibre."
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use archlinuxarm instead of debian on your raspberry.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
daletsteele
Enthusiast

Would Calibre Server Function For Raspberry Pi?

Thanks. Changing OS on my Pi 400 isn't an option at this time.

I haven't been using Calibre's web server function but wonder if this could be a workaround? I can share screens with my iMac but running the application that would give poor performance.

There may be more Raspberry/Calibre users than expected with quotes like this from a Pi forum: "A functional Calibre is an absolute requirement, since ebook management is a core function of my Pi Desktop machine."
Old 12-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the calibre server will work on your pi assuming it has enough horsepower. And note that calibre 6 will come with arm64 binaries, so assuming your pi is arm64 capable you can just use the official binaries like on a regular linux machine.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 AM   #5
casaprocida
casaprocida began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the calibre server will work on your pi assuming it has enough horsepower. And note that calibre 6 will come with arm64 binaries, so assuming your pi is arm64 capable you can just use the official binaries like on a regular linux machine.
What about calibre 6?
Have you an estimated release time. If you want i can install an alpha or beta release on my Bullseye's Raspberry.
I need you software.

Thanks for your work
casaprocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When betas are available there will be an announcement in this forum. And I'm afraid I dont do release estimation. it will get done when it gets done.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
And I'm afraid I dont do release estimation. it will get done when it gets done.
Oh, how I would love to be able to say that where I work!
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Oh, how I would love to be able to say that where I work!
There's a reason I never got a job
Old 12-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Manjaro Linux (based on Arch Linux) also runs up-to-date Calibre, and it is actually a choice within the Raspberry Pi Imager, under Other general purpose OS.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
ashanrath
ashanrath began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 2
Quote:
And note that calibre 6 will come with arm64 binaries
You just made my day! Manually compiling the latest version on the Pi was too much of a hassle so I've been switching repos to whatever had the most recent Debian compatible package, which was of course always behind.

I'm sure there will be a long line of willing testers if you need! Thanks for the great work as always.
ashanrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:22 PM   #11
daletsteele
Enthusiast

Happy to report the Raspberry pi 64 bit OS is out of beta as of this week and running well. I now have Calibre 5.12 loaded on my pi 400 and managing my kindle library.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:19 AM   #12
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
Happy to report the Raspberry pi 64 bit OS is out of beta as of this week and running well. I now have Calibre 5.12 loaded on my pi 400 and managing my kindle library.
Good thing I have almost everything on my PI as a docker container so migrating won't be too time consuming ...
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #13
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Speaking about docker, there's a docker image available for arm32v7:
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/calibre

@daletsteele: Just use the docker version.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote