Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Brandon202000
Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Brandon202000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: SONY
Smile PRS-500 Firmware Upgrade Experience - A+

First my apology to the moderator if this post is in the wrong forum! The banner announcing the "New Forum" indicates that it includes the new PRS models, but leaves it vague as to whether or not posts about earlier PRS models are acceptable!

1. Turnaround time for the upgrade: My unit was returned on the 7th day after being shipped for upgrade. It may be that the "two-week" period stated by Sony is a worst-case estimate. The quick return was certainly expedited by Sony paying for over-night air shipment via UPS both to AND from the upgrade facility.

2. Memory card: I was worried about having left my memory card in the reader. In fact, Sony removed the memory card and returned it inside a little baggie and that inside another plastic bag closed with an adhesive tie AND this double bagging identified with a barcode label.

3. One note of caution: The retuned unit was not reattached to the Sony cover, so it's important to be cautious when first handling your unit in order to avoid dropping it.

4. Recommendation: Sony's directions for shipping ask that your ID number be written on the outside of the box used to ship the unit. Since barcodes are used extensively during the upgrade process (my unit had three stickered on), I suspect doing so avoids any delay in getting the unit into the upgrade process.

Overall: Kudos to Sony not only for throwing a lifeline to EPUB for PRS-500 users, but also for the quality of the upgrade process!
Brandon202000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I never wrote any ID on the outsode of the box. Just put the label on the box and the paperwork on the inside of the box anbd Sony had no trouble with it at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Yup, had the same experience, got my 500 back today after sending it out a week ago. Now I just need to decide what I'm going to do with it now that I upgraded to a 600.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Actually, it's pretty clear that this should be in the forum dedicated to the 500 and 505 models, software upgrades and all. (If you read above, this forum is for the 300, 600, 700, and 900 models. There is another forum specifically identified for the 500 and 505 models. Seems clear to me.) I've dropped a note to the mods to move it.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Per OP's request, this has been moved to 500/505 forum.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert