Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Paperwhite Signature
Did you use bookmarks with paper books?

The beta version of the Mobipocket app for Blackberry's Storm2 has been annoying me recently because, under some conditions, when I re-open the application I find that it has opened my book to a location a few pages back from where I left off reading.

This led me to think of how things used to be years ago when I still read paper books. I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.

However, nowadays, I've usually got between five to ten books in progress at once (on Blackberry and Sony Reader) and there is no way I could possibly remember where I was in so many books at the same time. I would be completely lost without the automatic "resume from where you left off" feature.

So for you guys who still read paper books, do you use bookmarks? How many books do you have active at once?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I never used bookmarks because it was a hassle to either move the bookmark once or twice every time I flipped the page, or else remember without fail to insert the bookmark before closing the book. I just had a sense of the thickness of remaining pages and opened up close to where I left off and flipped around a few pages.
Yah I always use a bookmark. My bookmarks are usually scraps of paper I find lying around. Although im not sure what your talking about the hassle of moving the bookmark every time you flipped the page. I just take it out when i start reading and put it back in wherever i end up. If I am just putting the book down for a minute ill just lay it down open.

Of course sometimes my bookmark falls out and I have to do the finding my page based on the thickness left as well.

edit. I typically just have 1 book going at a time.
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I use bookmarks. I generally only have 1-2 books I'm reading at time (in paper or electronic format).

Not counting work related reading.

I never had any issue with bookmarks either. I just set it aside while reading, then stick it back. Or stick it just inside the cover if I'm on a plane or train etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I consider one of the great advantages of the Sony readers I have owned (previously PRS-505, now Daily Edition), is that no matter how many e-books I may have in progress when ever I get around to opening them again I go right to the page I left of, even if days later. Before with paper boos I used book marks, just what ever was handy; the receipt fro grocery shopping, any business card that was handy, a torn off piece of napkin, ...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
probably what you are running into is the "actual" page versus the "virtual" page.

the books have "actual" page numbers for its default font size but when you change the font size it generates extra "virtual" pages or sub-pages. you may be on page 232 sub page c but the bookmark only marks page 232. so when you re-open the book it goes to the start of that page.

i
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm one of the crowd who uses any random flat object for a bookmark in paper books. It could be anything from an actual bookmark to a Domino's pizza coupon postcard (which can cause problems when I forget that I've done that and I want a half-prize pizza!). I put the bookmark down in some random place when I start reading, and put a flat object -- not necessarily the same one -- back in when I stop. You could probably build quite a profile of me and my life if you just collected all the random junk out of my books!

I do bookmark where I stop in my 505, because I'm often reading several books at once (different topics/genres/etc.) and I switch between them.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I used bookmarks quite extensively back in the paper days :-) I actually bought some anime playing cards, Tenchi Muyo to be exact, just to use as bookmarks. They looked cool, were small enough to cart around, and with 54, it didn't matter if I lost them by the handful, just so long as I had ONE available as a bookmark.

With my 505, the bookmarking feature is essential since my wife and I hand it back and forth...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
The beta version of the Mobipocket app for Blackberry's Storm2 has been annoying me recently because, under some conditions, when I re-open the application I find that it has opened my book to a location a few pages back from where I left off reading.
It may be referencing the original page layout of the book. When a file can be displayed on numerous different sized device screens, at variable type sizes, it's probably reasonable to expect that it may not take you back to the exact viewing spot on the larger overall 'page'. It seems slightly odd at first, but it's not too hard to get used to.

I have a bookmarks scattered around all over the place. They range from fancy leather ones through to strips of coloured card, scraps of paper, and even clusters of interesting stamps cut from a parcel. There's also a pile of freebies that bookshops sometimes give away.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I used bookmarks, but only had two real ones (one that I picked up at a book fair, another from the bank). Since I'd usually read several print books at a time, most of my bookmarks were just scraps of paper -- post it notes, a piece of envelope, etc.

I do still have a bunch of promotional bookmarks from my own book lying around the house somewhere...
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've always used bookmarks in paper books and still do in my library books (the only DTBs I ever have any more). In fact a friend who borrowed some books from me once remarked how she couldn't believe I never dogear pages, but I never do. I have some nice bookmarks and enjoy using them now and then but I almost always end up mislaying them and so as others have said, I usually end up using the paper slips from the library, grocery store receipts, bits of tissue, etc. One of the many things I enjoy about the Kindle is that it keeps my place for me, but a couple of times instead of putting it to sleep, I've clutched it against me when it was "live" and lost my place. Much harder to find it again than in a paper book as I rarely pay much attention to the dots on the bottom of the screen.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I find that bookmarks, except for the ribbon type that anchor in the spine of the book, tend to fall out, and I don't like to bend corners on pages. I usually always use paperclips to mark my place.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hate dog-earing pages. For years I used whatever scrap of paper that was available, but these days I pick up a couple of the light cardboard booksmarks that Powell's have stack next to each register whenever I buy a book. Still read paper and still use bookmarks.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
How about the Page Chaser?

Quote:
The Page Chaser is a flexible bookmark that automatically marks the page as you turn them. Ordinary bookmarks can fall out and require you to correctly mark where you left off. Why waste all that precious brain power on something so mundane? The Page Chaser catches every page as you turn. It’s an incredibly simply design that never falls out. Cheap, easy to manufacture, and handy. Win in my book
http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/03/2...-work-for-you/
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
yep, always have a bookmark. Iʻll read pbooks these days, when I canʻt find a library ebook copy of what I want to read, or when something catches my eye at the library when we go to choose books for the kids.

The bookmarks in question are usually receipts, small pieces of thin cardboard from small boxes (usually a small flap), the order cards from magazines, tags from new clothing, corners of newspapers... whateverʻs around. I donʻt like "real" bookmarks, they never seem to stay as well- too thick.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Wouldn't it be nice if all pbooks were made like high-quality Bibles with the ribbon bookmark built right in?

I've made bookmarks by hand a couple of times for hardbacks by taping a ribbon to thin material such as a typical paper bookmark, and then shoving the paper part into the space in the spine of the book. It works especially well on thick books.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote