Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
ghosting problem with DR?

i discovered a ghosting problem at the DR from the very first beginning on

at first i thought its maybe a bug and will go away from alone, but it appears in more and more situations

for example, when i start the DR, there is a ghost at the same place of the starting logo on the first page until i change into another folder

or in xournal, if i mark something and delete it, there is also a ghost of the erased letters and if i change the paper into plain, the lines leave at a ghost image

do you guys know what i mean, or should i make photos?

is that normal or do i have a corrupt reader?
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Ghosting is normal with eInk. Usually it's not enough to cause any readability problems. If it becomes severe, contact iRex and they may replace the screen (they'll probably want pictures).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Floeee
Groupie

in some cases it causes readability problems, when a ghost image leaves at the same place where a text is shown on next page
Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
in some cases it causes readability problems, when a ghost image leaves at the same place where a text is shown on next page
It certainly shouldn't be that bad that readability is affected. Some unofficial programs like Evince do not always do a proper full refresh but I do not get any ghosting in iRex's PDF and Mobi viewers.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want an opinion, post a picture. We can take a look and comment on how it compares with our screens. If it's that bad though, you might want to contact iRex. On my screen I can see faint ghosting from the previous page on the 'white' parts of the next page, but certainly nothing that would interfere with reading the text.

I have seen people get new screens before though, because of a ghosting issue.
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Xournal certainly has ghosting problems, but that is mainly because it has been written for desktop computers. I could add a button to do a 'double' refresh (first white then actual content)? Maybe also do a double refresh when switching to the next page (although this will make switching pages take longer).
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Floeee
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Xournal certainly has ghosting problems, but that is mainly because it has been written for desktop computers. I could add a button to do a 'double' refresh (first white then actual content)? Maybe also do a double refresh when switching to the next page (although this will make switching pages take longer).
that would be great
i got the worst ghosting in xournal, if i get time on weekend, i will post a picture
Old 09-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
that would be great
i got the worst ghosting in xournal, if i get time on weekend, i will post a picture
As Mackx said, that's probably just due to the type of refresh that Xournal does. Most of the built in device applications do a quick series of refreshes on each page turn in order to reduce ghosting.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Ghosting is normal with eInk. Usually it's not enough to cause any readability problems. If it becomes severe, contact iRex and they may replace the screen (they'll probably want pictures).
Ghosting is not normal any more. It was with the old eink screens around the time of the 500. But since then, ghosting has been eliminated. If there is ghosting, it's a defective screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ghosting is not normal any more. It was with the old eink screens around the time of the 500. But since then, ghosting has been eliminated. If there is ghosting, it's a defective screen.
That's news to me. What is your information based on?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is only partly true insofar as there should not be any ghosting when you're reading normally. If one creen stays live for a longer time, there may be residues of that screen on the next ones, Normally paging forward and backward again should get rid of that, though
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Floeee
Groupie

yeah thats what i have to do, when i got ghosting

page forward - page backward or get into another folder - get back to previous folder
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Yep, that's all normal.

There are steps done during the refresh to help eliminate the artifacts (aka ghosting) from previous screens. Paging forward/backward is causing a couple extra refreshes, which helps clean the screen up.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
Floeee
Groupie

hmm but i didnt recognize any ghosting with the prs505
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's news to me. What is your information based on?
If the DR is ghosting, then something is wrong. My 505 has no ghosting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote