Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Calibre won't start

Calibre 64 bit v2.24 won't start. I see the start screen with the books but then a blank window ("Calibre doesn't respond"). This problem manifested itself from the 2.23 version on. I really don't know what to do so maybe someone can help? many thanks in advance.

O.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the FAQ: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

One of the suggestions in the manual:

"On some 64 bit versions of Windows there are security software/settings that prevent 64-bit calibre from working properly. If you are using the 64-bit version of calibre try switching to the 32-bit version."

I tried this and - for now - it seems to work.

Thanks for your help eschwartz
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Odyssee
Connoisseur

So far no problems. Calibre starts up fine.
What leaves the question unanswered why Calibre, having run in the 64b version on the same laptop perfectly for a considerable time, suddenly chucks it. None of the possible things that may cause it according to the manual happened, as far as i can tell.
Just being curious.
Are there differences or disadvantages running Calibre 32b on a 64b laptop compared with Calibre 64b on a 64b laptop?
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The only difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions is being able to use more RAM with the 64-bit version.

You might care, if you need to convert very large or complex books.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Thanks again eschwartz. I can live with the 32-bit version.
Problem solved.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Figured as much, most people can.

Happy to help.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Tatezi
Tatezi began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Cruz (Android)
Thanks, eschwartz. I was having the same problem and have been running 64bit for a long time with no problem. Nothing changed on my computer, Calibre just started hanging with "not responding."

One question. Should I leave the 64bit installed or do I need to remove it?

Thanks for always being here to help us out

Tatezi
Tatezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Might as well remove it, since it is pointless to keep. Why waste the disk space?

Will it cause horrible things to happen? No -- but you *might* get confused about which bitness you started. If 64-bit calibre consistently crashes, there is no point wasting time trying it accidentally.

Some people do keep 32-bit and 64-bit calibre installed. The usual reason is so they can test two different versions of calibre. For instance, a plugin developer might want to keep a copy of calibre 1.48 to make sure things keep working on legacy WinXP computers.
No harm is caused.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatezi View Post
Thanks, eschwartz. I was having the same problem and have been running 64bit for a long time with no problem. Nothing changed on my computer, Calibre just started hanging with "not responding."

Tatezi
@Tatezi - Hang on - before you remove the 64 bit could you try double clicking C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe and C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe and let us know what happens.

Thanks BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatezi View Post

Tatezi
You say 'nothing changed', but do you manually do all (launch/apply) your updates? Or do you allow all to 'automatic update (recommended) '

A/V and Security suites want updates many times a week
Windows updates are released regularly
And User Program installs/updates can include redistributable modules (might be the updated version) as part of their packages
See what I mean. If you did not control when/how these happen, you really do not know that 'nothing changed'.
BTW Windows Update does make the detailed history available. My A/V just say today's update was successful. no real info on what it did
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Might as well remove it, since it is pointless to keep. Why waste the disk space?

Will it cause horrible things to happen? No -- but you *might* get confused about which bitness you started. If 64-bit calibre consistently crashes, there is no point wasting time trying it accidentally.

Some people do keep 32-bit and 64-bit calibre installed. The usual reason is so they can test two different versions of calibre. For instance, a plugin developer might want to keep a copy of calibre 1.48 to make sure things keep working on legacy WinXP computers.
No harm is caused.
@eschwartz - re my post to Tatezi - just want to see if its 'all of calibre' or just the library manager - in my mind at least, we've never established 'that'.

Every time I think this problem has gone away it pops up again.

BR
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

That is a good idea (I caught on as soon as I read your question).
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
... (I caught on as soon as I read your question).
I suspected (expected) you would, but others might not

BR