Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #1
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS T2, iPhone 6, Cybook Orizon, Cybook Gen3
Question about how to create complex virtual libraries

Hi there!
I don't even know if this is possible, but I'd like to have a virtual library showing me the books still to read in the same series of the book I'm currently reading.

It should work like this:
1) the book I'm reading: tags:"=currently reading"
2) all the books in the same series with column #read:false

Is there a way to do it?
(The difficult part is the "books in the same series" bit)
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sbin - perhaps you can devise a solution that uses ==>> QuickView and/or Similar Books (its in the right click menu)

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
dgparryuk
Enthusiast
dgparryuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I keep looking at this and thinking it might be handy - i don't think it would work as a VL but you need to do something like

if book1.tag = currently reading then show book1.series = bookx.series

*thinks about wondering off an learning python*
dgparryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgparryuk View Post
I keep looking at this and thinking it might be handy - i don't think it would work as a VL but you need to do something like

if book1.tag = currently reading then show book1.series = bookx.series

*thinks about wondering off an learning python*
I don't think a standard search will work because the needed data {series} (the Name of) is not available until the {tags} search has been completed
(The second search can easily ignore any book with a Has_Been_Read status )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

@BetterRed yes, right now I'm using QuickView to show me all the books in the series I'm reading, and it's certainly useful. But I'd like to distinguish which ones I've already read and which ones I haven't yet.

I read a lot of series that include novellas, short stories and online addenda (not always published in chronological order), and sometimes the situation can get a bit hairy

@dgparryuk, @theducks It doesn't necessarily have to be a virtual library, any method that could get me a detailed list (author, title, number in the series and tags) will do
Advert
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbin View Post
Hi there!
I don't even know if this is possible, but I'd like to have a virtual library showing me the books still to read in the same series of the book I'm currently reading.

It should work like this:
1) the book I'm reading: tags:"=currently reading"
2) all the books in the same series with column #read:false

Is there a way to do it?
(The difficult part is the "books in the same series" bit)
Multi-step but it should work.

Prerequisite: ensure the "Mark books" action is in the "context menu for the books in the library".

1) select the book being currently read.
2) right click on the book, select Mark Books / clear all marks
3) right click again, select Mark Books / books in selected series
4) search for (or have a virtual library set up for) marked:true and #read:false

There are variants that depending on your work flow might be easier. For example you could have a VL showing #read:false as long as that is true if tags contains "=currently reading".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tested my idea
Quickview honors a VL

So... simply make a: 'To be Read' VL (since I keep 'Empty books', my TBR VL does exclude those)
Then you can Search on your 'Now Reading'
In Quickview: Click the Series header to sort by those

Note Quickview only works on Authors
If your series is in a shared universe, they need to all include a common author

Larry Niven & <lots >
Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Note Quickview only works on Authors
If your series is in a shared universe, they need to all include a common author
Quickview works on almost any text-like column. Try clicking in a Series cell then pressing Q.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Quickview works on almost any text-like column. Try clicking in a Series cell then pressing Q.

Would help if I RTFM
Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
sbin
Voracious reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
simply make a: 'To be Read' VL (since I keep 'Empty books', my TBR VL does exclude those)
Then you can Search on your 'Now Reading'
In Quickview: Click the Series header to sort by those
That is a very nice workaround and will do the trick, thank you!

When you already know the solution, every riddle seems simple.
And this apply to this rule for sure