Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Has the ePub check gotten more stringent?

Has the ePub check gotten more stringent? (Win 10, ver 7.13)

I never used to get these errors but now the missing generic message, and there seems to be order constraints in a style sheet

Quote:
ERROR: Unexpected empty block****[jacket.xhtml:75]
ERROR: Unexpected empty block****[jacket.xhtml:80]
ERROR: Unexpected empty block****[jacket.xhtml:85]
ERROR: Unexpected empty block****[jacket.xhtml:90]
ERROR: Unexpected empty block****[jacket.xhtml:111]

ERROR: Unexpected missing generic font family****[styles/Georgia.css:30]

ERROR: Expected selector "figure img" to come before selector ".imageFullHeight img"****[styles/epub_55.css:399]
ERROR: Expected selector "figure img" to come before selector ".imageFullWidth img"****[styles/epub_55.css:399]
ERROR: Expected selector "figure p" to come before selector "blockquote p:last-of-type"****[styles/epub_55.css:402]
I can fix them by adding "serif' and moving lines around, but I don't think I had to before. This book passed originally with no errors, but now i get these
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Has the ePub check gotten more stringent? (Win 10, ver 7.13)

I never used to get these errors but now the missing generic message, and there seems to be order constraints in a style sheet

I can fix them by adding "serif' and moving lines around, but I don't think I had to before. This book passed originally with no errors, but now i get these
These have been around since 7.x and maybe before.

The jacket code used to have a couple of empty comments: /**/
In most cases a fresh jacket cures or a saved search

I think some of these were added because of publishers rejections.
I just ignore the 'generic font ones and the order, since my edits are for personal use and my Kobo does not barf.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at stylesheet.css in the jacket.xhtml folder:

Quote:
/*
** To skip a banner item (Series|Published|Rating|Tags),
** edit the appropriate CSS rule below.
*/
table.cbj_header tr.cbj_series {
/* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Series' from banner section */
/* display:none; */
}

but Calibre editor 'drops' comments and thinks it's an empty block since it's nothing but comments:

Quote:
table.cbj_header tr.cbj_series {

}
Personally, I'd prefer all comments to be left in

My editing is just to make mostly PD books more readable in my Kindle so I have personal style sheet that I use, current version is epub_55.css, so I can just 'fix' them in epub_56.css

My personal CSS has a lot of personal preferences in, but 'Remove Unused CSS Rules' cleans them up. Normally I don't have any empty blocks there
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Epubcheck is a user installed Editor plugin, the contents of this thread should be moved into the relevant thread in the Plugins subforum where its developer is more likely to see it, see ==>> Index of plugins

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:12 AM   #5
phossler
Wizard

Sorry - I was asking about the Debug feature that checks my ePubs that is built into Editor
Advert
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CSS linting was added a while ago, that is probably where you are getting these messages from. You must have updated from a very old version of calibre.

And no the editor doesnt drop comments from stylesheets. That will likely be the conversion, though even there, empty rules are completely dropped IIRC.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I tried converting to epub inserting metadata as jacket and the editor check gave me no errors.
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard

@all -- Thanks for additional information

In jacket.xhtml's stylesheet.css I have this

Quote:
/*Added for personal preference */
p {
margin-bottom: 1em;
line-height:125%;
}
.emptywithonlycomments{
/* comment 1 */
/* comment 2 */
/* comment 3 */
/* comment 4 */
}
ModifyEpub Add/Modify Jacket adds this to the epub

Quote:
.emptywithonlycomments{

}
and Calibre debug flags it as an error. I don't remember that condition being flagged as an error

Didn't mean to imply that Calibre was dropping comments, only that empty blocks were flagged as an error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	209328  

Last edited by phossler; Today at 11:27 AM.
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Like I said CSS linting was added a while ago.
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
@all -- Thanks for additional information

In jacket.xhtml's stylesheet.css I have this

ModifyEpub Add/Modify Jacket adds this to the epub

and Calibre debug flags it as an error. I don't remember that condition being flagged as an error

Didn't mean to imply that Calibre was dropping comments, only that empty blocks were flagged as an error
That is a just a Warning (advisory). Some may want to actually Put stuff there or leave or clean out (minimalist code ).
BTW I have seen the original many times, I just can't remember which publisher has this as their default (house template to coders).
Just like here on MR, using the house stylesheet classes gets ignored by the 'that looks good (in the preview)' cheap hire coders. <p class="adcard"> for regular paragraphs in the entire book. or 'xyz goes here'
just lowest bidder sloppy code
I also note house stylesheets instruct the coder to NOT EDIT the sheet.

Simple. If that is done, you can auto clean unused before shipping AND IF I need to edit the book that uses something cleaned, just restore the default (since that has everything we started with), do the update edits, and clean before shipping
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote