Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
turnroot
turnroot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unhappy Dark mode not displaying text properly

Hi!

At certain parts of a book, the text disappears whenever I switch to dark mode. Some pages are just black, while others display one apostrophe or maybe two words in white. This persists for the rest of the book. In the same book, a few hundred pages before this specific chapter everything looks right in dark mode.
This has happened with one specific book (I have other ebooks that work just fine) and I have already tested whether the issue persists in Nickel when switching to night mode - no issues there.
I am wondering what I can do to keep my annotations and progress, and make the dark mode work for this book in the Libra 2 native reader. In a similar post on Reddit someone wrote that I have to edit the original ebook file. How do I then update the book on the reader with my changes without loosing progress and annotations?
turnroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I expect that the specific book sets the text color to black (or dark blue, or something similar), so the reader is showing black-on-black. The easiest fix for this issue is to use Calibre and Convert books > Look & feel > Styling > Select what style information you want completely removed > Colors.

I don't use annotations, so I can't help you with that part of your question.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2024, 05:47 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnroot View Post
I am wondering what I can do to keep my annotations and progress, and make the dark mode work for this book in the Libra 2 native reader. In a similar post on Reddit someone wrote that I have to edit the original ebook file. How do I then update the book on the reader with my changes without loosing progress and annotations?
If you haven't made changes to the structure of the ePub or the ToC, you can use the Do not treat replacements as new books option on the second page of the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended configuration dialog. I would recommend turning this option on when you want to send a book you've modified and want to keep the annotations/progress and keep it off otherwise. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-24 144453.png
Views:	19
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	209128  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote