Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
stanmarsh
Enthusiast
stanmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab
Change Library while in the middle of Automatic Adding books Concern

Hello everyone!

i have a concern to what recently happened to me regarding automatic adding,

i have 2 libraries that i use (fiction and research)

i forgotten about the automatic adding which contains books i would like to put in the library "fiction"

i open calibre, it opened the library "research", while browsing the "research" library, i realized something is not quite right, fiction books are flowing in the "research" library, in my panic, i switched the library to fiction.

there is also another instance, where i realized i was in the wrong library and quickly changed the library before the flow of new books from automatic adding.

my concern is, did calibre deleted/ or damage books while in the middle of changing libraries? or am i just being paranoid because of my ocd?

Thank you.
stanmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't believe calibre will lose the books, I think they will just be added to whichever library is currently open.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
stanmarsh
Enthusiast

Hi eschwartz!

thank you for the reply!

do you know what happens in the middle of the transfer if you change libraries?

is it the same as aborting a copy, then it copies the book again to the other library?

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
While books are being auto-added you cannot change libraries (or indeed do anything), the GUI is frozen during that time (you may not notice the freeze because it is for a very small time except in exceptional cases) -- in technical terms, automatic adding happens on the GUI thread.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
stanmarsh
Enthusiast

Thank you kovidgoyal!
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Would it not be wise not have automatic adding on when you have two very different libraries? It does not take much to add from directory and you maintain control that way.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote