Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-29-2024, 04:13 AM   #1
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Bug in Wallpaper / Cover Art mode toggle in NickelMenu

The standard code being used to toggle between wallpaper mode and cover art mode for screensaver in NickelMenu has a bug. The bug is triggered when you import new books while you are in cover art mode. The bug causes all of your screensavers to be imported in errors as books.

This is because Kobo is treating in error all of the screensaver images that are stored under /.kobo/screensaver_old as ebooks and imports them. This does not happen when you are in wallpaper mode since the screensaver images are stored under /.kobo/screensaver which are shielded from being scanned by Kobo for importing.

How do you fix this?

Code:
menu_item :main     :Screensaver toggle :cmd_output :500 :quiet :test -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_failure  :skip :3
     chain_success  :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver
     chain_success  :dbg_toast :Wallpaper Mode
     chain_always   :skip :-1
     chain_failure  :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_success  :dbg_toast :Cover Art Mode
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:27 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You probably need to edit the configuration file to exclude more folders from being scanned:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 10:09 AM   #3
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Hi, Aleron, Tried your code. Does not work and gives a strange side effect.

I tested it by switching to Cover Art mode. This caused the screensaver to be temporarily saved to /.kobo/screensaver_old as intended.

I then triggered a full scan in NickelMenu to import all books.

Code:
# Nickel_Misc Actions
menu_item :main     :Import books       :nickel_misc :rescan_books_full
On the surface, it appears to work because the the screensaver did not appear as a book. But this is because the entire directory /.kobo/screensaver_old was deleted so that there was nothing to scan or import.

Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You probably need to edit the configuration file to exclude more folders from being scanned:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
Old 05-29-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
hatuluang
Zealot
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
My screensaver settings are:

Kobo Configuration file:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)|(screensaver_old)
Screensaver folder in Kobo (F):\.kobo\screensaver_old

Nickelmenu:
Code:
menu_item :main     :Screensaver        :cmd_output :500 :quiet :test -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_failure  :skip :3
     chain_success  :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver
     chain_success  :dbg_toast :Wallpaper Mode
     chain_always   :skip :-1
     chain_failure  :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_success  :dbg_toast :Cover Art Mode
You will see if success go to folder screensaver, if failure go to folder screensaver_old

I also install kobo-dotfile-hack to Prevent Kobo from importing dotfiles/folders, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083

I check wallpaper and cover art mode status with a full scan in NickelMenu to import all books, no images are imported.

Last edited by hatuluang; 05-29-2024 at 12:02 PM.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #5
shyhermit
Connoisseur

That is great, hatuluang. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post

Kobo Configuration file:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 08:04 PM   #6
shyhermit
Connoisseur

Alas, on further testing, the modified code does not work for me. What happens is that if I hard boot the device after enabling the cover art mode and doing a sync, the screensaver_old directory is somehow again deleted by Kobo so my screensaver mode is lost once the device is rebooted.

Therefore, the effect works as long as I don't reboot.

This is just bizarre.

Quote:

Kobo Configuration file:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
Old 05-29-2024, 08:17 PM   #7
hatuluang
Zealot
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyhermit View Post
Alas, on further testing, the modified code does not work for me. What happens is that if I hard boot the device after enabling the cover art mode and doing a sync, the screensaver_old directory is somehow again deleted by Kobo so my screensaver mode is lost once the device is rebooted.

Therefore, the effect works as long as I don't reboot.

This is just bizarre.
It's strange, on my device, Wallpaper and Cover Art Mode works fine after rebooting.

Last edited by hatuluang; 05-29-2024 at 08:45 PM.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:56 PM   #8
shyhermit
Connoisseur

It is the combination with the triggering of Force Scan in NickelMenu that is the problem. This is because it was working normally before until I start using Force Scan to import e-books that I sideloaded.

Quote:
It's strange, on my device, Wallpaper and Cover Art Mode works fine after rebooting.