Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quick query

Looking to upgrade from my poorly Gen 3 Cybook.

I want an e reader where I can see the book covers (like on Gen 3) without having to open the book (like kindle).

I also like the idea of 'emailing' books to the reader, like you can with kindle....

what are my options?

many thanks.
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just to note that you can see the cover of a book on the Kindle without opening the book.

The Sony has a cover browser, rather like the Gen3's.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Harry, how can you see the cover of a Kindle book without opening it (on a Kindle)? I know about "go to cover", but that requires opening the book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Harry, how can you see the cover of a Kindle book without opening it (on a Kindle)? I know about "go to cover", but that requires opening the book.
On the Kindle Touch, tap and hold the book on the Home screen.

On the Kindle Keyboard, (and, I'd guess, the K4 also) select the book on the Home Page and press "right" on the 5-way controller.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Cool. I'm still using a K1, so I don't know everything about the newer Kindles.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Thanks for replies, but maybe I did not word the query properly.

My Gen 3 on home screen can have up to 20 (i think) book covers, and turning each page gives you another 20, so I can browse library by picture...I do not believe the kindle can do this.

Also, can anyone tell me if I can 'e-mail' books to any other reader other than kindle?

many thanks
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
Thanks for replies, but maybe I did not word the query properly.

My Gen 3 on home screen can have up to 20 (i think) book covers, and turning each page gives you another 20, so I can browse library by picture...I do not believe the kindle can do this.
Yes, I know that's what you meant; that's why I suggested the Sony, which does have a cover browser. I was simply commenting on your assertion that the Kindle can't display the cover of a book without opening it.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Also, can anyone tell me if I can 'e-mail' books to any other reader other than kindle?
I'm not aware of any other reader who does this (but I don't know all) - but is this really what you want? This way, the books will be stored all in one big folder - I mean, with the Gen3 we are used to a better organisation of our books.

Pocketbook and the Bebook/Onyx readers are also able to show the covers, you can change between cover display and text display.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Pocketbook and the Bebook/Onyx readers are also able to show the covers, you can change between cover display and text display.
Both excellent makes of reader, I agree. Their only real "downside" is that, unless they've brought out new models recently, they still use the old "VizPlex" eInk screens, rather than the newer "Pearl" screens, which have much better contrast.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, you're very right with the Pearl screen (and Pocketbook doesn't have it yet) but that wasn't a requirement of hermano. And I can imagine if one is used to and satisfied with the Gen3 screen then this isn't the biggest issue. But good that you've mentioned it.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both excellent makes of reader, I agree. Their only real "downside" is that, unless they've brought out new models recently, they still use the old "VizPlex" eInk screens, rather than the newer "Pearl" screens, which have much better contrast.
All recent Onyx models have Pearl screens.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Looking to upgrade from my poorly Gen 3 Cybook.

I want an e reader where I can see the book covers (like on Gen 3) without having to open the book (like kindle).

I also like the idea of 'emailing' books to the reader, like you can with kindle....

what are my options?

many thanks.
Another option (that has not been mentioned) is the Odyssey. I do hope you meant "poorly Gen 3" as beeing old and outdated, not that the device itself is poorly. The Odyssey has almost all you want. The Book browser always shows the cover, and you have 3 options for that
- 1 column display that shows 5 books per page with cover, title, author, date and size.

- 2 column display with 10 books per page with same information but usually only partial title visible

- thumbnails: displays 20 book covers. I assume just like your gen 3 since its also a cybook

also, unlike the sonys, the Odyssey also allows for view by folder.

For emailing, afaik the Kindles are the only ereader that allows automatic email book to reader. The Odyssey can be used to download books if you sent them to yourself and opening your email in the browser (requires WiFi connection). Other ereaders that have a browser do that too, but some might not allow you to download to the device.

Most ereaders now are based on EPub (except Kindle). If your Gen3 had the mobi firmware and you do have a lot of mobi non-drm books, it might be easier to transfer your books to a kindle w/o having to convert them first (which would not be a big deal, but still some work involved). If you are already EPub based, a non-Kindle (e.g. the Odyssey) might be a better option.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Bookeen are a frustrating company in many ways: they make great readers, and their firmware has some excellent features (such as the folder support that's already been mentioned) but it also has some annoying omissions, such as the lack of a search facility - a basic capability which every other reader provides.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen are a frustrating company in many ways: they make great readers, and their firmware has some excellent features (such as the folder support that's already been mentioned) but it also has some annoying omissions, such as the lack of a search facility - a basic capability which every other reader provides.
Someones basic capability might not be somebody elses basic capability. And the requirements of hermano unfortunately limit the choices severely.

I wish big companys like Sony, Amazon, or even Kobo would implement simple things like folder view (can be done with enough want as PRS+ shows), book covers and such. It is not fair to bash Bookeen for being a smaller company, when the big guys can't or won't do either.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm not bashing Booken - I've owned three Bookeen devices in my time, and I like them a lot. Just saying that I am frustrated by what I considered to be inexplicable omissions in their firmware. The final straw for me was the lack of bookmarks in their ePub firmware for the Opus (a feature which their Mobi firmware had); that was an essential requiremt for me, so I was reluctantly forced to use a different make of reader.