Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 02:19 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Is it OK to overwrite/update Calibre for large version jumps?

Is it safe/appropriate to update Calibre from version 5.44 to 7.17.0 on Linux by just overwriting the existing 5.44 install using the normal wget method? That's kind of a big version jump and I don't want to accidentally damage my library or mangle existing settings due to some incompatibility. I realize that I would/should have to download and reinstall newer versions of plug-ins.

I have always overwritten older versions in the past - never encountering any problems - but never for a version jump this large (two major releases). I do remember a large Calibre change in internals in the past, but I think that was between version 4 and version 5 (?) I don't remember that causing problems in Calibre itself, but there were problems with the DeDRM plug-in (probably others as well) until they were updated to work with the new Calibre internals.

My library and settings are backed up and I could restore that if there was damage, but I'd rather not have to do this if it's a known thing that overwriting large version jumps is not proper upgrade protocol.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would make sure you have a good backup of the library and configuration files before doing the update. I have jumped multiple versions in testing without issue but always feel happier if I have a backup. As the old IT saw goes, the best way not to need a backup is to have one.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC Calibre detects Library schema changes and UPDATES it.
That said, Those changes now make it difficult to revert (use) to an older version of Calibre.
Heed the Backup advice (You really should be doing that already )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Out of curiosity is the old install from the distribution's repository or from a manual install?

If the repository I'd suggest an uninstall via the package manager followed by the manual install

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote