Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
vanminh
vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.

Device: mini kobo
Please recommend the best Pdf To epub Converter for mini kobo reader ...

I just bought a mini Kobo Reader ( for 35 US$ .. :-) ) and really enjoy using it on the go . The problem is the epub version converted from pdf files does not look good on Kobo reader (i.e. there are lots of gaps between paragraphs...) .
The same epub file looks O.K on my PC , using the epub reader plug-in for Firefox browser !

I have so far tried several "Pdf To epub converter" such as :

_3herosoft PDF to EPUB Converter 1.1.0 Build 0222
_Xilisoft PDF to EPUB Converter 1.0.5 Build 20120522
_Majorware PDF to EPUB Converter v3.1.0.0
_Calibre 0.9.36 ( freeware)

Calibre produced the best error-free conversion which still showed imperfect format in mini Kobo reader ( i.e. random gaps !! ).

My questions are :

1) Is there a way to improve the version by Calibre ? ( get rid of unwanted random spaces shown in mini Kobo reader )

2) Is there a "Pdf To epub converter " that is best compatible with mini Kobo reader ?
vanminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanminh View Post
Calibre produced the best error-free conversion which still showed imperfect format in mini Kobo reader ( i.e. random gaps !! ).

My questions are :

1) Is there a way to improve the version by Calibre ? ( get rid of unwanted random spaces shown in mini Kobo reader )

2) Is there a "Pdf To epub converter " that is best compatible with mini Kobo reader ?
Have you played with the line unwrap setting in Calibre? You can also try some of the heuristic processing settings. Between that and running the epub through Sigil, the results can look pretty decent. In Sigil, a simple search for any line ending a a lower case letter can go a long ways towards cleaning up the results ( regex search for [a-z]</p> ).

As for your second suggestion, the best I've managed was to use Acrobat to export and then import into either Calibre or Sigil to do the final epub production.

Good luck,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
The best option is to find another version of the book, that is not a pdf file.

If that's not possible the next best option is to use an ocr software to scan the pdf file and convert it to formatted html. ABBYY FineReader is great, but expensive, tesseract is a freeware alternative but not as comfortable.

If you only rely on a calibre conversion, you can use Sigil to manually edit the format of the by calibre created epub and remove empty lines etc.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
The best option is to find another version of the book, that is not a pdf file.

If that's not possible the next best option is to use an ocr software to scan the pdf file and convert it to formatted html. ABBYY FineReader is great, but expensive, tesseract is a freeware alternative but not as comfortable.

If you only rely on a calibre conversion, you can use Sigil to manually edit the format of the by calibre created epub and remove empty lines etc.
Yuck.. I'd much rather have to clean up the formatting from a Calbre conversion than have to clean up the formatting and OCR errors from a scan and convert.

Regards,
David
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
vanminh
vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.vanminh knows the square root of minus one.

[quote =DNSB] [quote=ewphoenix123]

Thank you very much for your kind responses . I'll try out your tips and hope for the best !
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am probably not as fussy as most, but my results with calibre are usually pretty decent. I would guess 70% look fine, maybe a random gap every 10 pages or so, but many that I don't notice any. The other 30% well garbage in and garbage out in many cases, but about 25 % can be fixed up ok.

Generally I crop as close as I can before converting.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
vanminh

I tried out Sigil then import the .epub file into Mini Kobo reader . It is clear that
the issue is not from Calibre !

The problem is the viewing in Mini Kobo Reader . The random gaps occur only in the Kobo reader, not in the epub reader in my PC !

I wonder what else can I toggle in the Mini Kobo readerto get rid of these unwanted spacings ?

Any other suggestions ? Thanks...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What exactly do you mean by "unwanted spacings"? Gaps between paragraphs or something else? My experience is that the Kobo devices do a good rendering of what is coded in an epub. When I comparing what they display to what is displayed by ADE or the calibre viewer, the differences aren't significant.

Any chance of a photo or sample of the epub so we can see what the problem is?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I tried out Sigil then import the .epub file into Mini Kobo reader . It is clear that
the issue is not from Calibre !

The problem is the viewing in Mini Kobo Reader . The random gaps occur only in the Kobo reader, not in the epub reader in my PC !

I wonder what else can I toggle in the Mini Kobo readerto get rid of these unwanted spacings ?

Any other suggestions ? Thanks...
The mini does not have anything you can toggle for specific instances. Even line spacing etc. do not always work.

Convert the book with heuristic checked to see if that helps maybe or as Davidfor suggested post a sample page.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
rambling
Enthusiast
rambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterrambling can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color, Asus Infinity
You can also try Mobipocket Converter, available here:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp

And then convert the MOBI output to Epub in calibre.

I sometimes get better results with this converter.
rambling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
vanminh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Any chance of a photo or sample of the epub so we can see what the problem is?
Here is a sample of a page in Mini Kobo reader :

The first 3 paragraphs in the reader screen should be only one paragraph . They are somehow randomly truncated for no apparent reason . Or is this the way the Mini Kobo reader works ?

Please comment . Thanks
Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't think there is a good pdf to epub conversion program that doesn't need additional editing or tweaking before the output looks good.

Try DNAML PDFtoEPUB. Convert (and control) pdfs in 6 simple steps.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Higgles
Higgles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterHiggles can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Ok, looking at that image, you will probably find that each of the "paragraphs" on your image were probably individual lines of text on the pdf. At the end of each line on the pdf there would have been a [CR] (Carriage Return) which would be interpreted in HTML as "New Paragraph". This is probably why you are seeing what you are seeing. What is needed is to strip these out when the pdf is being converted. How you do this in something like Calibre I don't know, but there is probably a setting.

I know this is not a solution to your problem but hopefully somebody can come up with something for you.
Higgles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Here is a sample of a page in Mini Kobo reader :

The first 3 paragraphs in the reader screen should be only one paragraph . They are somehow randomly truncated for no apparent reason . Or is this the way the Mini Kobo reader works ?

Please comment . Thanks
Looking at your screen, I would agree with the comment that Higgles made. Those lines might look okay on a system with a wider page width but the Mini is showing that each line in your original is now it's own paragraph. That is where the search I suggested in my earlier post comes in -- locate all the lines ending in a lower case letter and join them to the next line.

In Sigil, I use something like:

Find: [a-z]</p> <p class="para">
Replace: single space character

Then hit find, if you want to replace, hit replace, otherwise hit find again. If you are feeling enthused, you can try hitting replace all or replace all after selecting current file instead of all files to do it one file at a time.

Repeat the find/replace looking for commas followed by the end of paragraph and repeat again for any other characters that you choose.

Regards,
David
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
vanminh

[QUOTE=Higgles;2555208][/QUOTE = DNSB] [quote=davidfor]

Thank you very much for your kind helps !

Kudos to Higgles for the brilliant dianosis of the problem !

And ...finally, I found an excellent freeware that solves this bothersome issue once and for all :

3DPageFlip PDF to ePub Converter

I used it to convert the same pdf ebook then used Calibre to load it on to Mini Kobo reader . It came out exacltly as it should be : no more unwanted empty spaces & useless new paragraphs !!

Again, thank you everyone for the kind comments ..

Best regards,

vanminh