Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #1
foosion
Groupie
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Pick a random book?

I'd like to create something that goes through all of my Calibre books, finds those that have the onkobo column checked but doesn't have a date in the finished column, then choose one at random.

Something like:

Code:
import random

unfinished = [book for books if book.onkobo and not book.finished]
book = random.choice(unfinished)
show(book.title, book.author)
How would I do this?
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have a VL for 'To Read'
Code:
Not #finished:>12/31/2000 and formats:true and not formats:other and not #usertags:split_up
finished is a date (2000 is my abandoned date)
usertags is what it says , I tag there when I use Epub Split (PI) on a boxed set
So, if it has a format and not fand any of the other, it represents my (outta control) TBR pile
Once that VL is active, you just use the dice Icon (select a Random Book)
Note: You may need to add it to a toolbar
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #3
foosion
Groupie
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Goes off to figure out virtual libraries.

I like the idea of tracking abandoned books.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Goes off to figure out virtual libraries.

You can also use saved searches instead of virtual libraries.

Based on your post, it would be something like #onkobo:true and #finished:false
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The reason I prefer VL's is because you can use them in conjunction with the Tag Browser.
Show To Read and filter by Science Fiction
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #6
foosion
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can also use saved searches instead of virtual libraries.

Based on your post, it would be something like #onkobo:true and #finished:false
Even simpler.

Last edited by foosion; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
I have a stored template for tracking read status and for it I defined did-not-finished by adding 'dnf' to the#admintags column.

Code:
program:

percent = $$#percentread;

if 'dnf' inlist $#admintags
	then 'didnotfinish'

elif percent >=#1 && percent <=#99
	then 'currentlyreading' 

elif $#readinglist=='To Be Read' && percent ==#0
	then 'toberead' 

elif percent >=#100
	then 'read' 

elif percent == 'None'
	then 'undefined' 

elif percent >=#0
	then 'unread' 

fi

Last edited by ownedbycats; Yesterday at 10:15 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'd like to create something that goes through all of my Calibre books, finds those that have the onkobo column checked but doesn't have a date in the finished column, then choose one at random.

Something like:

Code:
import random

unfinished = [book for books if book.onkobo and not book.finished]
book = random.choice(unfinished)
show(book.title, book.author)
How would I do this?
Create a VL with the search expression you wish then use the built-in "Pick a random book" action.

You would probably also want to do one or both of:
  • add the "Pick..." action to some toolbar or context menu.
  • add the "All GUI actions" action somewhere, which gives you access to all actions without putting them on menus etc individually. This action an excellent way to see calibre actions that are hidden by default.

Edit: If your goal is to read (View) the random book, do it in Action chains.
  • Choose the virtual library.
  • Pick a random book.
  • View that book.
  • Turn off the chosen VL.

EDIT 2: My post is more-or-less the same as @theduck's post (#2 above). Apologies for the repeat.

Last edited by chaley; Today at 03:33 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@foosion: if you really want to roll your own implementation, I think the easiest is to do it in an Action chains python action. Use db.cache.search() to get the list of ids, select one randomly, then gui2.actions.view.view_format_by_id() to launch the viewer.

Last edited by chaley; Today at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Today, 05:54 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Here is a sample Action chains python action that does a search, selects a random book id, then "view"s the EPUB format of that book.

Code:
def run(gui, settings, chain):
	db = gui.current_db
	ids = list(db.new_api.search('#mybool:true and formats:epub'))
	if ids:
		import random
		random_id = random.choice(ids)
		view_action = gui.iactions['View']
		view_action.view_format_by_id(random_id, 'EPUB', open_at=None)
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #11
foosion
Groupie

Although I've been using Calibre for about 15 years, until I got a Kobo I barely used any of Calibre's features beyond add a book and view. I'm going to have to devote some time to reading the manual and playing.

Old Today, 06:22 AM   #12
foosion
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Here is a sample Action chains python action that does a search, selects a random book id, then "view"s the EPUB format of that book.

Code:
def run(gui, settings, chain):
	db = gui.current_db
	ids = list(db.new_api.search('#mybool:true and formats:epub'))
	if ids:
		import random
		random_id = random.choice(ids)
		view_action = gui.iactions['View']
		view_action.view_format_by_id(random_id, 'EPUB', open_at=None)
That is very powerful. I need to learn the Calibre API.

I'd do "#onkobo:true and #finished:false" instead of #mybool.

Is there a way to show a message, if I want to identify the chosen book rather than use the viewer?
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there a way to show a message, if I want to identify the chosen book rather than use the viewer?
What exactly do you want to do? Display a dialog? Select the book in the book list? Something else?
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #14
foosion
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What exactly do you want to do? Display a dialog? Select the book in the book list? Something else?
Identify the chosen book. Highlighting it or popping up a message box.
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Identify the chosen book. Highlighting it or popping up a message box.
Which one of those two? They are implemented very differently.